Monday, October 4, 2010

Rhythm!!!

I want you to make an argument against or for this statement:  Out of the three main parts of music (melody, harmony and rhythm) rhythm is the most versatile, colorful and free. Watch this clip and argue this point to be true or false.  I don't want just an opinion (although you are welcome to give it).  I want actual musical proof/examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8jICj8juc

39 comments:

  1. I do believe that this piece shows how rythm is the most versatile. As long as the beat stays the same, the rhythm can change all it wants. As a drummer, I have learned this through improv. I get someone to give me a beat, and I just play randomly based on the beat. The kitchen proved this the best. The rhythm in the kitchen scene seemed to change every 10 to 15 seconds, but the beat stayed the same. I also see this a lot in metal drummers. Attack Attack's! drummer does this a lot for openings to songs. He starts a beat and then improvs the bass beat, or a tom fill. Also, in the Offspring song, You're Gonna Go Far Kid there are two improv tom solos that keep the same beat, while bringing in a new rhythm. Also from other things that I've seen from Stomp,they keep the beat and they do everything the same, but they change the order in which they do it. For example they might do a card shuffle, apple bite, yawn, and then change the order completely. I see this as another way that rhythm is creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that rhythm isn't the most versatile. Melody and harmony can be just as unique with sound. This stomp piece showed that rhythm can use a lot of different things to make a rhythm. But this is also true with melody and harmony. Instrumental melody and harmony can make a lot of different sounds and emotions just like stomp. Like in the video we watched in choir the guy said that a composer has to choose what each instrument does to decide the sound. Even though the melody and harmony dont use crazy instruments like rhythm they still have a huge variety of possibilities. I think it is unfair to say that any one part of music is more free or colorful than another. Music is full of possibilities and is virtually limitless. This is Rachel Wood

    ReplyDelete
  3. io think that its true cause its soo creative how stomp shows how the beat of this song is strong but actualy sounds like its from a movie and can be changed into anything and that they made this rythem out of basketballs,pots and pans knifes and that a beat can come from any thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well im still learning about this stuff...but ive seen this before and i fell IN LOVE WITH IT... this is awsome...thought you gotta love it and the beat is amazing....so once i learn more about it itll be more professional yeaaa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well i have never seen or heard anything like this. the rythem is amazing and its awsome and i love it lol cant wait to see whats next on the blog!!!!... i love rythem!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm, i agree...i think that it shows its versatileness because it shows how rhythms can be fast slow and how they can change instantly. i think that this piece is pretty cool. And just to agree with Rachel, i agree because you can almost make more combinations with melody and harmony than you can with just rythm, although you can have so many different rythms, but if you get too confusing then people get lost. So im stuck in the middle, but i think that melody is more colorful, harmony is more free and rhythm is most versatile... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how stomp used the basketballs and i can say this becasuse I used to play its not that easy. That takes like LIGIT practice. But the way stomp always has done their rythms has always amazed me they take something out of everyday life and prove that you can find the rythm in anything like August Rush did. (I still dont know he didnt run away from the Wizard in the beginning).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always liked STOMP. Rhythm is the foundation for any musical piece. As the rhythm and tempos change the harmonies must also change. Rhythm sets the tone for the scores. Rhythm can make you feel happy sad anxious; everyone can get rhythm but not everyone can get harmonies; multiple rhythms can be done in one piece but care must be given when doing multiple harmonies so they don't crash. It is for these reasons that I think rhythms are versatile, colorful and free. Mrs. Rice

    ReplyDelete
  9. first off i liked how they used the basketballs not only as an instrument but something to play other instruments with like drumsticks i also liked in the kitchen scene they played 2 measures with 4 beats and then did so improve and that that scene had a much higher pitch than the basketball scenes low pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay..... Epic!!! I aspire to this level of profientcy!!! I love what trevor said about rhythm and beat. Often, i find that discerning between the two of them is fairly difficult, which is kind of odd... Especially for a drummer. But Trevor couldn't have spelled out more clearly. If the beat can be followed, endless possibilities with the rhythm could be achieved, which is why playing the drums is much more complex then what most people think. There are many great examples of this with all the genres of music like jazz, blues, funk, country, bluegrass, dixie, and countless others. but this stomp is great example of how flexible rhythm truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the rhythm can be free because it follows. all thigh has a rhythm, like just being in a the Kitchen part, their different beats followed together. i mainly saying in a werid way what trevor, ilikedrumss, etc said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i always did like stomp and their random beaats with objects that u could pick up in ur house and make amazing music i think that a wonderful way to make music for audiences instead of the boring regular go to sleep performance it keeps u on ur toes not knowing wat their gonna use next and i like it cuz it dealed with basketball ohhh ya koolaid sty ................................................................................................btw trevor iAm 12th o ya thats right owned

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't agree with any one on this.I want to say that melody and all that good stuff is the most versitile,because i am in choir.but I also do not like to pick favorites.I do not like to hurt the other ones feelings. But Iam speaking honestly that it is a tie.You can;t have music wothout rythem.We also can,t have GOOD music without melody and all that good stuff- we would sound like cows!!!1:) So I am happy to say that I am tied and that every one should get along.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always thought that rhythm was kind of boring. Things have a rhythm, and they can move within that rhythm. This peice isn't rhythm. Sure, it has one, but that's not what it is. It's different patterns forming one awesome percussion-y peice with one rhythm. Some people think of it as a beat, and then rhythm inside of that. I guess you could say that, though I think that the melodies and harmonies of normal peices are more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think the to make a song, melody, harmony and rythm are all equal! I don't think that without the wierd kitchen and the basketballs that this STOMP piece would be very exciting. That's TOTALLY my OPIONIN! I prefer hearing harmonies and melodies also. Rythm is required for those to happen, but i don't think that rythm is more important than the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. rythem, harmony, and melody are 3 totally different ways of music. rythem has funky creative beats, and harmony and melody both try their hardest to get along with each other. i would imagine stomp with a choir of angelic singers trying to get along and still sound good. like the angels could be singing "Hark the Harold Angels Sing" and the stompers could be doing a creative but appropriate rythem to it. in my mind, it sounds kind of clashy, but it still works. I look at this video as kind of a war between the stompers and the kitchen. After the stompers do their thing, the man yells, and then he storms in to his kitchen and orders his cooks and chefs to beat them. actually, i do like the kitchen rythem better, cause it seems to change and alternate more, and they added a person to interact vocally with the beat. if harmony, melody, and rythem can get along at the same time, i think it'd be wicked if they did a peice together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is by far one of my favorite, if not my favorite, stomp clip. actually, the one with the rain and the trashcans is my favorite. but this one is pretty darn cool, too. some people think that percussion and rhythm is super easy to and play along with, but this video definitely shows them that rhythm and percussion stuff is actually pretty challenging. like, the basketball part. it takes lots of skill to do something like that. for one thing, it's hard to get the right control and bounce on a basketball consistantly. so being able to put something as complex and versatile as the stomp crew did, that's pretty amazing. and being able to play it in all different rhythm and such, it's amazing. just a perfect example of why drums and percussion and rhythm are my favorite thing about music. the kitchen scene is pretty fun, too. all the different sounds of the pots, the chopping, the water, the sweeping. it's catchy. it takes lots of dedication and talent to put things like that together. and putting it all together and playing it that quick is pretty intense. the rhythm is soo complex. there's lots of syncapation and what not in these pieces. and the harmonies and melodies are crazy good. who knew you could do so much with simple things like pots and pans? this is why music is so amazing, enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fist of all, I thought that the video of the basketballs was soooo cool! I wish I was that skilled. I thought it was awesome how all the rhythms came together. I agree with the statement that out of melody, harmony, and rhythm, rhythm is the most versatile. I mean, melody, and harmony are both versatile as well but I think that rhythm is the most because it changes more than the others. For example, rhythm changes its beat very often and is also very colorful. To me, colorful means that it makes people happy when they hear beats and also it means that it is everywhere. i also think that is VERY free beacues they are soooo many different types of beats and rhythms and also because with rhythm, you can make up your owns beats and make something very fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would disagree. The rhythm has versatility but maybe not the most. There is a limit to the pitches it can reach and if the rhythm is being played for other instruments to conform to, it has less freedom to make up intricate rhythms (unless it gets a solo) because it's just in the background. It is still colorful and free, for sure. This song has demonstrated that but this song is percussion only so..it can do more. It just depends on if it's percussion alone or with other instruments. But it still has to conform to one solid beat....yep.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree that the rhythm stands out the most. Stomp does a great job of pointing out and making beats from simple things like pots and pans and basketballs. I agree with what Elizabeth is saying about how the percussion determines how free the rhythm is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. rhythm is NOT the most versatile, colorful and free. There are only so many different rythems in the world. While rythem is all of these things harmony surpasses this tenfold. I agree with Lizzie when she said that there are only so many pitches rythem can have. When you add too many different rythems together they sound like mush. However you could put as many harmonies together as you wanted and as long as they didn't clash in a bad way, they would work perfectly.
    Lauren Smith

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is true that rhythm is the most versatile, colorful, and free. This video shows that even though the rhythm slows down, speeds up, etc. that the rhythm still was consistant. What makes up music is definitely rhythm. Without it, where would music be? This was a creative way of showing rhythm, but I'm not sure if rhythm can necessarily be 'free'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. UHM... I don't know. I guess I'll just have to say that all three things are equally colourful, versatile, and free. I thing harmony is pretty colourdul, melody is pretty versatile, and rhythm is pretty free; but they all are all those things. I mean, rhythm is great, but I can't say its any better than harmony or melody, and the other way around as well. And... yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow I had a lot of typos there! :/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would say that the above statement is false because all three are equally versatile, colorful, and free. For example, it would seem that the harmony with have to always follow and be less colorful then the melody but in the piece Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring the harmony is much more interesting and colorful then the actually melody or the rhythm. An example of a song where the melody is much more colorful then the rhythm section is the Star Spangled Banner. The melody is very colorful and can be played with but the drums have to be somber and are mostly just rolled through out the song.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that it is true because they used basketballs to make the rhythm like what we learned in our class.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great arguments! I really enjoyed reading your perspectives. I am thinking that maybe melody, harmony and rhythm are all equal in importance but NOT equal in what they do. While that may be a no-brainer, maybe we shouldn't be comparing them at all - because they can't be compared. They are too different. Maybe they do have endless possibilities.

    But again maybe each one surpasses the others in particular traits. Like maybe harmony is the most emotionally manipulative, rhythm is the most physically energizing and melody is the most memorable.

    I don't know... just ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  28. This post is from Giorgio Johnson:
    I really like thius peice i think that its pretty cool. I like how they got the dribbles at the same time which was probably really hard. I also really like the scence in the kitchen, his screaming makes it the best.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think that this peice showed that rhythm is very versatile. I think that rhythm, harmony, and melody are all equally versitile. I also think that they are all somewhat limited because if they go too far off they start to sound weird. I totally agree with Sylas. You need all three blending together to make a song sucessful. So no I do no think that rhythm is the most versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do agree that rhythm is the most the most versatile and free, because in this specific piece the basketballs are making noise which gave it rhythm, which in every song the music has rhythm. The kitchen scene everything they did had rhythm to it. Even there facial expressions went with the rythem.

    ReplyDelete
  31. okay first of all this reminded me of high school musical because im pretty sure that they do a kitchen music scene and a basketball scene but im thinking that stomp did it first. id like to think that harmony is really versatile and free but the rhythm in this definitely shows that it is extremely versatile and that there are many different things you can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My log on is not working-
    The Pig Wrangler/Chris Waite

    I agree with Juliana Lopez. I also think that harmony is really versatile and free but the rhythm in this definitely shows that it is extremely versatile and that there are many different things you can do with it. On the other hand I hate stomp. I think that only people that really appreciate stomp and drum people and i am definitely not that. Other than the beat I don’t think they have any talent. The only part that is hard is the timing and anyone can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beauty Killed The Beast II seemed more dramatic and it had a sudden stop to it and the "old" one it seems as if it is less dramatic and not as much as a scene you would imagine as a chase scene but more of like a oh man whats going to happen type.

    ReplyDelete
  34. the rhythm is very versatile ther is so much thats going on and they switch it up and it all sound amazing i cant even dribble a basketball and they are making music out of it thats awesome it just shows that you dont need instruments to play with you just need your hands

    ReplyDelete
  35. Obviously rythm is very versitile and can be absolutely unique. But most song have a very similar rythm. For the majority of the songs out there the unique creativity of it through the melody. Sure there are pieces out there where they take the rythm to a whole other level, most songs stick to basic rythm, and flourish in the melodies.

    ReplyDelete
  36. i think that rythm truely is the most versal and free, because there is no basic rythm, with a simple beat, hundreds if not thousands of rythems can be created of of anything around you, such as a garage or cooking pot.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The melody is important because you can hear the hollowness of the basket ball and the echoing from the buildings which gives the song the feel. In the kitchen part of the part of the video the melody was all over because you heard very low pitches and very high ones which gave the song the dynamic which is what the melody does.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the music, and i like the fact that the rhythym keeps up with the rest of the song. What i don't understand is that in some songs, the rhythym doesn't keep up with the rest of the song. One example that drives me crazy is "I'm not ok" by my chemicahl romance. The rhythym guitar plays two chords throughout the whole song

    ReplyDelete