This is a slightly different post. Read this short story of CCM (Christian Contemporary Music). Answer the questions from the last paragraph. You do not need to listen to anything this week. However, if you want to listen to a few CCM posts for extra credit, you are welcome to do so. Just let me know that you did! I apologize for the lateness of this blog!
CCM MUSIC:
During the late 60’s, in order to counter the Rock ‘N Roll culture (primarily centered on sex and drugs), the “Jesus Movement” came up with Christian Alternative music. With early founders like Larry Norman, Darrell Mansfield and Randy Stonehill, the new music sounded pretty much the same as its secular counterpart but the words were radically Christian. It was meant to evangelize the World and offer Christians a more “healthy” but listening diet.
It wasn’t meant for church services and got very little support from the Church. In fact it was highly criticized for sounding too much like the World (from which the Church was supposed to be separate). Given its lack of secular appeal (not hip/sexy enough and too “Christian”), CCM was struggled. It often sounded more like a wannabe of the most popular secular bands. Still great artists, determined not to compromise either their artistry or their faith, kept CCM alive.
As time progressed both the Church and World accepted CCM. It is now receiving enough support to be a viable business and ministry. Less like a copy but still very much secular in style, CCM comes in every genre and is virtually indistinguishable from secular music except in the lyrics. In fact much of the current CCM is so non-committal in its lyrics (avoiding Christian terminology) that is often played on secular radio stations and used in secular movies as sound tracks (like Switchfoot’s “Only Hope” in “Walk to Remember” and Lifehouse’s “Broken” in “Time Travelor’s Wife”). However, the positive messages and clean lyrics are definitely a drastic change to the dark negativity, despair, drugs and sex emphasis of secular music.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? Copy and paste these questions into your blog and answer each one.
Here is a little evolution of CCM if you want extra credit.
60’s CCM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWPnlj1VOE&feature=related (Larry Norman – Father of Christian Rock, “I Wish We’d All Been Ready)
70’s CCM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0M2uGyZgNA&feature=related (Darrell Mansfield)
80’s CCM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP85jpFmvNE (Amy Grant “Lead Me On”)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ux9Sp66b8 (Petra “Beyond Belief”)
90’s CCM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHedm6ycsY&ob=av2e (Michael W. Smith “Secret Ambition”)
2000-2010 CCM – There are literally thousands of selections so I will let you post any that you particularly enjoy (any style or genre) Have fun!
Pop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwov6Zp1hY (Francesca Battistelli “Beautiful, Beautiful”)
Alternative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9fPJM1qdWo&feature=related (Switchfoot – “Let That Be Enough”)
Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0MA3CIUMII&feature=related (Showdown, “Monument Encased in Ash” – the story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah)
1. Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDelete-Original and scientific study of "Music" is nothing more than vibrations causing different tones. So there really isn’t anything Christian or non Christian about it. However, today we have turned music into a way to express ourselves and our feelings about life. Music is now part of a human's release. So now is when Christianity comes into the picture. Lyrics and words we use have a major influence on the message we give to others about life, or "preaching". So yes, lyrics and literature are the tools to spread good and evil. Music is just used as a tool to make it seem more attractive.
2. If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
ReplyDelete-I think the problem with this is that it is harder to relate with Christian music. Christian music has the thought of a worship type of music. If you just lost your girlfriend/boyfriend (or friend in general), do you feel like listening to songs that worship God, or do you feel like listening to The Beatles, "Yesterday" or some blues type song (Led Zeppelin's "Baby Since I've been Loving You" is blues at its best BTW). When you are trying to get pumped up for something, do you listen Christian, or songs like "Beast and the Harlot" by Avenged Sevenfold or "Last Resort" by Papa Roach? (We overplay "Down with the Sickness" by Disturbed a little too much in the locker room) My point being is that people relate more with secular music because it talks about daily troubles such as drugs, sex, and alcohol more broadly and in a way that we understand what they are trying to express better than the way Christian expresses it. Christian has the potential to do this; it has trouble working around the publicity setbacks and its label known as "Worship" type music.
3. What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
ReplyDelete-I personally think that God's favorite type of music, is our music. Doesn't matter what style or how good it is. It pleases him to know that we are at least using our talents he gave us. (This answer is to be built upon in question 4)
4. How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
ReplyDelete-Yes God cares what we listen to because music influences us and our emotions. Music I believe is the least concern for God. For instance, if you have never heard "Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden, or "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine, You would think that this isn’t the best song or band to be influenced by or think that this is a song that should be played in church. But, if you listen to it without the lyrics as your first time to hear it, you might think that these are some killer songs and that the band is pretty talented. (Which they are, just not the best influenced) Now the lyrics are what I think God is SOMETIMES concerned about. I say sometimes because not only do we have to consider what the lyrics say, but how they are expressed and the meaning behind them. For example, "Chop Suey" by System of Down, is pretty much a suicidal song. But what if..... What if we took out the music (Executing the hard metal feel), instead of singing the lyrics make it more of a conversation, and imagine that conversation is with God. Now add the artist’s style of music and his ways of expressing his feelings and you get the final product, a metal type of cry out to God. I'm not saying that was truly the artist's intend, but what I am saying is that, what if that were our song and that was our intent. I said earlier that music is a way to have a release, and for a humans to express their selves, just like prayer. What if (figuratively speaking) "Chop Suey" was our song and our way of praying to God? Yes of course it could be better, but to God it doesn’t matter just as long as we offer up all we have for him. A little less drastic example would be one of the 60's anthems "For What it's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield or "I'd Love to Change the World" by Ten Years After. What if we just simply made a song explaining to God what’s going on in the world and what we want to do about it? The Point is, adding on to question 3, God enjoys us using our talents, but we can go further by creating songs like these even with the lyrics because we are expressing ourselves to God and, in a sense, Praying to Him. Yes of course it could be better than "Chop Suey", but to God it doesn’t matter just as long as we let him know that we believe in him and want him to hear our prayers. It’s the meaning behind the lyrics we sing that God judges, not the lyrics themselves, and especially, not the music!! It's up to you to decide on your own what the lyrics mean when you listen to other music.
Here are some of the songs I metioned. It might help you understand a little better. I hope im not pushing it too far in posting some of these.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nREmdfQGpGs “Yesterday” by The Beatles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC3_S6ozlok “Baby Since I’ve Been Loving You” by Led Zeppelin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzP_2icFR3s “Killing In the Name” (Instrumental) by Rage Against the Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFk3ITeDQOo&feature=related “Number of the Beast” (Instrumental) by Iron Maiden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=466VHt8KldM “Chop Suey” by System of a Down (Please put into consideration what I said about this song before listening, it might help a little)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrUqAtUcpU “I’d Love to Change the World” by Ten Years After
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs “For What it’s Worth” by Buffalo Springfield
I thought that this song is a great example of the type of music God likes to hear form us. The lyrics and the message.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYyWVlh8NLM “One” by U2
Here's a better version of "ONE" by U2 that I just found
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWdG8NoFXY0
This Post is from Giorgio Johnson:
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
I beleive that no there is not any christian in music aside from the lyrics because I believe that there could be many different lyrics to the same musical song. Such as if you were to get the same music with out the lyrics and write your own then you would have a completely different song and meaning. It is very good to have strong christian morals and values and christian music is a good way to express it but besides the lyrics there is no Christianity there. I believe that God likes country music or Led Zeppelin because its awesome but yes I think it does matter because rap[ is just a junk food to the mind and it encourages negative things. So Keep Your Music Clean.!!!!!!! Thanks
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
ReplyDeleteThe Jesuits have a religious practice called indifference. What this practice is is that they treat all objects as neutral to salvation. An object can do three things, it can lead us to God and be good, it can distance us from God, or it can do neither. Secular music can be treated the same way. A secular song about sex and drugs is at the best going to not make us move from God and therefore is at best okay to listen too. Some secular music can lead us to God however. For example, the song "For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti" by Sufjan Stevens is not a Christian song but its lyrics remind me of my relationship with God. Its a secular song that leads me to God, therefore it must be good.
So in conclusion, we still listen to secular songs because just like all things in the world, it can bring us to God if we understand it properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVZcAzXWciQ
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? Copy and paste these questions into your blog and answer each one.
ReplyDeleteThere's really nothing Christian about it besides the lyrics, no. I personally think it's offensive. The Lord should be respected, and instead, they've turned it into something more down to their level.
I listen to 'secular' music because Christian lyrics are all the same. It's all the stuff that's been hammered into my head since pre-k. I know all that stuff. I don't care to hear it in a song. I don't care if that song sounds like 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams,' it's not as good.
I don't know what type of music God likes... That's kind of up to him, isn't it? I'm not going to say he likes the same stuff I like, or he dislikes everything I do. He probably doesn't approve of most mainsteam songs (neither do I). Y'know, the ones about drugs and skanks and alcohol? I find most mainstream songs offensive, so I am inclined to think that He is too.
I think God cares about what we listen to. It is very much His business to know everything about us. I don't think He'd like me listening to System of a Down, even if I do like their music.
Interesting comments so far. I enjoy reading them! If you will allow me to offer a few counter-arguments...
ReplyDeleteMusicman...Wow... :) Good reasoning. Good ideas. However CCM is not worship music (that is a whole different genre). Certainly it worships but the point of CCM is that it IS about what you call real life - complete with relationship problems, worries, stress, anger, etc. But it also offers answers - something secular music does not. But consider this: why is there such a disconnect between Christian/church/worship and "real" life? Should there be? And which of these worlds is truly "real"? What actually goes with us after we die?
Lucy - Do you think God views anything indifferently? If He doesn't, should we? If He does, then how do we know which things are amoral and which are not? Is it relative or is there an actual standard to go by?
Kitty - Listen to the songs I posted - or at least look up their lyrics, find the common denominator and then tell me why they are all the same.
to start off......... amazing songs for now generation.... honestly music is a choice you can like country or rock or rap.... no matter what you listen to youll always be jugde..... but if you honestly think about it God made many faces, many personalities, many people, and many voices. with many different voices we still spread the word of God so thats why we get along. so honestly the type of Christian music played should not make a difference because its just another voice spreading the word of God. and When the different genres came up no one was trying to make fun of Christian music or mess it up people were just attempting to bring people in just with a new sound one they are used to. and it worked most great bands are christian rock like "Flyleaf" "Devil Wears Prada" "Switchfoot" those are just the few. Music shouldnt be judge by what genre but by the message it is sending to everyone.
ReplyDelete"..If they listen to the words they find the message underneath.." -In One Ear- Cage the Elephant
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI think that it doesn't matter what type of music is playing. If the lyrics are christian then the songs are. However, the majority of people probably don't even really listen or care about the lyrics, popularity of a song is all about the beat and marketing.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
This is where this question comes in. We don't care about the lyrics. Right now there are probably better songwriters and music producers for secular music. Music is all about freedom and listening to all different kinds of things. Music is some peoples lives. Most people don't even think about what music is appropriate and most churches don't push the subject.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
You would think he would listen to christian worship music, but wouldn't it be weird and self absorbed if you listened to music praising yourself. I don't think god wants us to solely listen to christian music. Yes, music should be appropriate and have a good message, but we do have some freedom. Does God ever say in the bible we need to listen to worship music? Music is all about self expression and worship music doesn't always do that for us. All we can do is pray for an answer.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
ReplyDeleteAside from the lyrics if you listen to Attack! Attack! Stick stickly the lyrics are
You never said that this would be easy,
so go on live,
you never said that this would be easy,
so go on live.
WOOOOOO!
This is the best part of the message,
and it only took one.
We live for what He's worth,
and thats more than youll know.
He died for what He loved,
and what he loved was you.
Ill wait for you,
you know ill wait for you,
ill wait for you,
you know ill wait for you.
You never said that this would be easy,
so go on live,
you never said that this would be easy,
so go on live.
Bow your head,
Go on live.
This is the time to let yourself go,
Lord pick me off the ground,
you never said this would be simple,
so pull me in and turn around .
Attack Attack is a screamo band and this song was about a girl going through depression because someone she truley loved died and yet people can use this song in worship God. We listen to secular music because not everyone wants to listen to "Christian" music. People can listen to whatever music they want to listen to. Music is a way to express yourself and not everyone wants to express themselves through "Christian" music. I think God enjoys all types of music because it shows that we are greatful for the talents that God gave us and He will love us any other way. In a way I think God doesnt care about what we listen to but as long as we dont take the message seriously
What do you think? Is there anything "Christian" about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI think that it is the lyrics that make the song Christian. The background music is like any other song. I like this because I like certain sounds of music and if a Christian song has that sound, it is really cool because I can listen to it and glorify God with what I am listening to.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
i think that some people do not like Christian music or have the wrong idea about it. Some secular music can still have a good message. Such as, a love song might talk about that true love is good, as opposed to sleeping with as many people as you can.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think that God enjoys Christian music because it obviously glorifies Him. However, I think He is ok with some secular songs, too, as long as they have good messages.
How much should this last question matter to us?
This last question should matter a lot to us because we should try to glorify God in every way we can. I personally do not care for many songs if they do not have good lyrics, mostly if they are derogatory towards women. I try to do what I feel God wants in regards to music. I might hear a song I like at a dance, but I will not downlaod it on my ipod if it is dirty. If I hear a secular song I like, I will also try to download the clean version if it is available/necessary.
Does God really care what we listen to?
I believe that God cares about all aspects of our lives. I think He wants us to listen to music that glorifies Him or that He would approve of if you offered to share and earbud, attached to your ipod, with Him. :)
1. Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? 2. If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? 3. What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? 4. How much should this last question matter to us? 5. Does God really care what we listen to?
ReplyDeleteA1. Music is expressing a message, whether it be a secular kind of message or a Christian message. Even the instruments playes in the song can sound Christian-or melodic, not fast-paced and hard to understand.
A2. We may think that listening to Christian music in Mass or when we have to is the only "necessary" time for listening to it. Other than that, we are all guilty of not paying attention to it when we are flipping through the radio stations; secular music (but not always rap) is just what we are used to.
A3. I think God most definitely enjoys Gospel music and genres that are praising Him. But I also think He might enjoy music that expresses a good message: like a "Who am I?" type message.
A4. If we are asking ourselves this question, that means we are thinking twice about what type of music we really should be listening to. We are trying to put God as the ideal example to what we hear.
A5. I think God does care what we listen to. It may not necessarily be a sin to be listening to rap and pop, but it also doesn't put His message first, that is: Christian music. Like I said before, we are all guilty of listening to music other that Christian music and passing the Christian stations.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? Copy and paste these questions into your blog and answer each one.
ReplyDeleteis there anything Christian about music itself other than the lyrics?
i believe that music is a gift from God that he gave to us to enjoy.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
Most people dont find the music "awesome and new" and finding that Christian music should be in the church than on the radio
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think he enjoys everything
How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
He gave us the choice of freedom and to do whatever we want in our lives but i do think he cares
1. If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? I believe we still listen to the secular music because it has a draw to people where christian music has yet to achieve. Aside from the hold it already has on us and how it's been around longer. People also have other things they wanna express that they can't through Christian music.
ReplyDelete2. What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? God, I believe, enjoys any kind of music that doesn't promote sinning or satanism.
Does God really care what we listen to? Yes, as I answered in the last question, nothing that promotes sin or satanism.
3. How much should this last question matter to us?
This question should matter a lot, since we never truly listen to what we play or hear.
4. What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
I think yes. God gave us music to express ourselves and by doing so it is Christian.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteKinda, if the lyrics are Christian then the music is Christian, but the Genre is not Christian, the Genre is more based on the instrunments and such not the words in the music. But i do agree God gave us music to express ourselves which is probably what most people do when they listen to music or rite music, we express ourselves. CCm just gives us a way to praise God and express God at the same time!
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
We are still listening to secular music because we find it more relateable to our youth and that we can express different topics that in Christian music we cant, other than the fact that secular music has been around much longer.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think that God loves all types of music (much like me (:) I think that God enjoys listening to all Genere. I think god probably looks down upon music that uses foul language and such. I think that God probably likes listening to CCM because it is praising him. We are here to praise God and that is why he loves us more than we can understand.
How much should this last question matter to us?
If we think that God only likes rap or whatever ,just one genre of music, that shouldnt change our opinion of music that we like. Just because Rachel likes Lady Gaga, thats not why i like Lady Gaga, i like her because i like her style of music. Also we can compose our own style of music and like in the "Jesus Movement," we can listen to our favorite genres of music still, but still feel the passion in the music.
Does God really care what we listen to?
I dont think God really cares what genre of music we listen to, i thik that as long as we are praising him with some song, and as long as we are not getting the wrong imression from some songs, that he does not mind that we listen to other music and not just secular.
I listened to some of the music posted and i really liked the Pop and the Rock/rap one. i also listened to some from musicman :) i never have boticed how Chop Suey can relate to God in any way but i can see where your coming from i guess. :)One also really relates closely to God and the song attack attack i didnt even realize when i started listening to it that it sounded anything like something that would be praising God, but i guess that was not what it was originally intended for but it is what it kinda sounds like :) i just want to say that i think that this was one of my favorite music blogs! :D
Christian music is music from the heart and soul. not talking about who good but god is but to show his greatness. its more now pray and express your love for god. that when you sing and/or hear the music you are filled with the holy spirit. shane & shane are good ex. for that, they are so move by the spirit when they play. it like they pour all their faith and love for god through their music. god might listen to things like this. music that does not proment the evil things but the good. plus it can be in different form of music. when i was at macu, during chapel this god was rapping that we need to let our voice be heard, not by our words but by our actions.
ReplyDeletethough some music shows the evil, but it also show the light of god like the 60s ccm. i also watch the 70s rock one, it was cool.
What do you think?
ReplyDelete- Well i think that CCM is doing a fantastic job of making a positive, Christian alternative to the secular music that other people provide
Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
- God is everywhere and in everything... Even music
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
- Well i dont think that there is anything wrong with listening to secular music AS LONG AS THERE IS NO ANTI-CATHOLIC THEMES in it, simply, its music, whatever it promotes, and its not forcing you to do anything sinnful. Though too much of anything will lead to sin
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
- Hes deffinetly R&B/Hip-Hop guy
How much should this last question matter to us?
-Gods will is Gods will... Listen attentivly...
Does God really care what we listen to?
- God cares about everything we do, so yes he does
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteYes. It is the feel,the emotion that Christian music gives off to people than any other music genre out there.you can listen to any other music,and you just think,'cool,music.'and your done with it. But with Christian music,it gets you on a much deeper spiritual level.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
We like to have fun!! Secular has that fun beat that you can bop your head to. It's so fun to listen to that we don't even digest what half of the people are saying.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I believe that it is his own choice to what kind of music he prefers listening to. He has a mind and can make decisions on his own. But, He probably likes hearing us raise our voice in songs to praise for Him.
How much should this last question matter to us?
It should matter the world to us!! If God,our creater,is listening to any kind of music (still his choice)wouldn't that reflect on us??
Does God really care what we listen to?
yes,just like my mom and dad,any thing that has any sort of vulgarity, negative humor and meaningless sex,it is on the no-no list.I believe that God wants us to stay pure in heart and soul,and that the kind of music may change the way we think and act.
Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
ReplyDeleteI think if music is Christian it is most realized by the lyrics. Although it can be recognized by the name of it (church hymns, etc.).We have Christian music availible, but people look more to society because it can be more easily understood, it's easier to conform to, and it can be viewed and touch without believing.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
Personally I think God perfers any music that doesn't disgrace His name or His teachings.
Does God really care what we listen to?
God doesn't care what we listen too as long as it doesn't take us away from Him, and makes us happy.
Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
ReplyDeleteI like the new music and the beats and It gives me a good view what the singer is saying. What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think god would like christian music and songs about him.
How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
Yes I think that God cares what we listen to and follow the siritual way.
Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeletenot really..but, if you think about it, all music is the same, in the sense that there's rock, pop, rap, ect. the only thing that defines what genre of music any song is depends on its lyrics.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
we still listen to secular music because of the same reason why we listen to christian music. christian music helps us see and realize why we love god, and why things are the way they are, faith wise..but secular music makes us realize that people feel the same way we do. all types of music show us what we can't see, in a sense.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
god likes all music, if he didn't then why would he allow us to come up with something so great.
How much should this last question matter to us?
this question should matter a lot considering we're all christians...
and music students..
Does God really care what we listen to?
yes- because what we listen to reflects our personality
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI really don't think there is anything "Christian" about music itself. Music is defined by different genres.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
We are still listening to secular music because that type of music might be relevent to whatever the listener is feeling. Another reason could be that it is just for entertainment values. People don't seem to be listening to Christian music because maybe they weren't exposed to that kind of music.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
We really don't know what kind of music God enjoys, but I'm really sure he wouldn't like the disgracing types such as sacreligious lyrics, violence, etc. anything hateful against humanity or to God.
How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
I think he does because I wouldn't want to listen to music that supports sinful ways.
I am so impressed with your great logic and passionate, creative thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to really tell me what you think. I really admire you guys! You are definitely out to protect your favorite music!
ReplyDeleteCan I challenge you to go out on a limb with me? I am NOT saying that secular music is bad by the questions I am about to ask. I like a lot of secular music. But I want us to really ask ourselves some serious questions.
First, a lot of you (but not all) do not seem to be aware of what CCM is. Let me clarify that it is NOT Church music. If you have not listened to at least six CCM bands then do not come down too hard on Christian music as “non relatable” or “not part of the real world”. I suggest that you click on the links I posted, visit Mardel and check out a few Christian artists in your favorite genre and/or listen to either Air1, KLOVE or The House for a few weeks before lowering the gavel on CCM. Thank you Aspen for the Attack Attack piece. I actually thought of posting that one!
There seems to be a huge disconnect between God and “real life”. On one hand you have God and the Church and then there is you and the REAL world. Let me ask you this: if you were Satan (I know, weird question) and you were trying to get people as far away from God as possible, how much would you try to paint God and the Church to be an illusion or a separate, un-relatable facet of life? How much would you try to make the world (which is all going to disappear one day) look “real”? How much would you encourage people to mold a God to fit their own ideas rather than to mold their ideas to God’s? How much would you tell them that all the things they enjoy are amoral (not part of a battle for their soul)? How much would tell them that only a cruel and boring God would like “unreal” music?
Rachel pointed out that “the majority of people probably don't even really listen or care about the lyrics; popularity of a song is all about the beat and marketing”. This is very true. But just because it is, does that mean it should be? Again Rachel says “music is all about self expression and worship music doesn't always do that for us”. All music is worship – either of ourselves or of God. As musicians we are called BY MUSIC to share the message of OUR lives. But as CHRISTIAN musicians, we are called BY GOD to share the message of CHRIST. Are we doing this?
I agree with Kitty all the christian music lyrics are the same. But God would probably want us to listen to christian music genres. To be honest I really don't listen to much christian. I usually listen to secular music
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion yes most christian music I have listened to has more of a respectful feel but still catches your attention.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
Because it is still out there and we can and it is the "cool" thing to listen to.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I definatly think that he enjoys us listening to christian music more. I have always heard that when you sing to God it is like praying twice.
How much should this last question matter to us?
unmeasurabley much
Does God really care what we listen to?
I believe so, why would he make christian music if he wanted us to listen to the secular music?
I listen to KLOVE everyday and I love it.
ReplyDeleteFirst to Ms. Burke,
ReplyDeleteYes I do think that God views some things indifferently. If I were to knock a pen off of my desk it would fall to the floor. God would not think of that action as good or bad; the pen is merely acting with the laws of gravity. YES! There is a huge difference between indifference and relativity. Relativism roots good and evil in MY opinion of them. St. Ignatius of Loyola helps describe indifference with this statement: "Our only desire and our one choice should be this: I want and I choose what better leads to God's deepening life in me." Indifference roots good and evil in GOD by defining good as something that increases our life in GOD and evil is something that decreases our life in GOD. Relativism tries to find truth inside, while indifference realizes that truth only comes from God. The way that we tell if something is good or bad is by picturing us doing it in front of God and looking at his reaction. If he is happy to that we are doing that action, then it is good; if he is sad that we are doing that action, then it is bad.
Next to dodoroxforeva,
I love how you say that the genre of music does not matter, it is the message it conveys. There is a beautiful parallel between your statement and the idea of you are what you do and not what you say you are.
Lastly to Emily Taylor,
"He would approve of if you offered to share and earbud, attached to your ipod, with Him" This is a great picture to visualize. It really helps make the decision of should I listen to this song easier because I can picture God asking to hear it too.
WELL I GUESS I HAVE TO COMMENT ON THE LAST WEEKS BLOG... WELL I AM GOING TO SAY FIRST TO...RACHEL! UMM, I AGREE WITH YOU ON THE FACT THAT SOME PEOPLE DONT LISTEN TOT HE LYRICS AND SO I AGREE THAT THE MUSIC IS ALL THE BEAT AND STUFF LIKE U WORDED IT ALL SMART... AND SO I CAN SAY THAT MAYBE CHRISTIAN MUSIC ISNT ALL ABOUT THE LYRICS TO EVERYBODY, IM SURE IT IS TO SOME PEOPLE. SECONDLY TO KITTY. WELL, IM COMMENTING ON THE FACT THAT YOU THINK THAT US LISTENING TO OR OTHERS COMPOSING MUSIC THAT IS CHRISTIAN IS JUST BRINGING GOD DOWN TO OUR LEVEL. OK SO LIKE GOD MADE US IN HIS IMAGE SO TECHNICALLY WERE NOT BRINGING GOD DOWN ANY LEVELS. AND IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT GOD HAS MADE ALL TYPES OF MUSIC AND ALL HE CREATED WAS GOOD. ANOTHER WAY TO THINK ABOUT IT I GUESS WOULDNT YOU FEEL PRETTY COOL IF SOMEONE WROTE A SONG ABOUT YOU??? YOU MIGHT PERSONALLY FIND THAT CREEPY BUT I THINK IT MIGHT BE REALLY COOL...I GUESS THATS A PRETTY WEAK ARGUMENT, BUT IT HAS POTENTIAL TO GROW...
ReplyDeleteI think that creating CCM was a good idea for that era.I think that there are some Christian like songs without lyrics because a message can be written through the notes and through the music. I think that we listen to secular music still because it may have a better rythm or style that is liked by us that shows our personality wether it be country, rap, or rock n roll. I think that God enjoys whatever music glorifies his through the lyrics and music. I think if God had to choose though I think that he would choose Christian. It should matter to us allot because we are supposed to be like Jesus, the Saints, and all of the Apostles. Yes God care about what we listen to because he care about what we put our heart and mind on.
ReplyDeleteI agree with deven if lyrics aren't against God it's christion music. If it's innappropiate, has racial slurs and has sexual comments its probably not christion. people probably listen to more secular music because it's less complex easy to understand just like Deven said
ReplyDeleteI with faulhaber that God would choose only christion music. I think that God createda ll music he would like it if the lyrics are appropraite. I agree with faulhaber that we are sopossed to be like Jesus and that God cares what we listen to.
ReplyDeleteAnswering Ms burk I think satin would try to God boring and seperate from our real lives. No i don't think that much of the music I listen to spreads the Gosple.
ReplyDeleteChristian music, as you said comes in almost every genre. So, yes, the only reason it's christian is the lyrics. Christian music isn't the only music out there. We, as people are allowed to like different things. There is nothing wrong with love songs. Most of the time a love song isn't sacrilige. We listen to other music because there is other music that is real and that has passion. For example, love song. I think God likes it when were honest. I, myself, am honest alot and I'd like to think that God appreciates us not pretending to be passionate. I think if we sang a Christian song expressing morals we don't believe in, it'd be worse than not singing them at all. God loves us, even through our imperfections. We are his creation, his children. He may not love the fact that we put a cuss word in the song, but he likes our honesty and passion. If God matters to you, it should. God cares about us. He can be in a million different places at once. Coach Tempest taught us last year that the love seen in marridge was meant to mirror the love in the relationship between each one of us and God. If I had a husband I would want to know what music he listened to, what his favorite bands are, ect.
ReplyDeleteEveryone else in the blog has been answering the question as does God care to WHICH type of music you listen to. Like I said, lying is a sin. I like country music. There are plenty of country songs that have Christian themes they may not be obvious, but most of the time there are good themes in them. An example of this is Chicken Fried by the Zach Brown Band. It is an example of the type of life Christians want to live (a life of modesty, and living simply) without really being themed around God. (Yeah, it says "I thank God for..." in the bridge, but isn't the main point of the song). God loves us. Therefore, he loves our music. He dosen't care what types as long as the themes don't draw us away from him.
Lauren Smith
OH MY GOODNESS! I WROTE A BEAUTIFUL BLOG AND IT DIDNT POST RAWR!!!! Ok anyway, take two. So I listened to the posted song and my favourite was the last one with the screemoish style. I think God listens to all appropriate music, of course. I think that teenagers dont listen to Christian as much as they do is because people like to hear thing that involve "parties, sex, drugs,doing hoodrat things with friends, and gossip and stuff" more than praising God. And that's because people talk about those things in real life and not like "Oh I asked God to forgive me last night." You know? Like people go around in highschool like "Yo brah that party at Cj's last night was epic.. until it got busted!" (Well not exactly but whatever). So my point is, people prefer to listen to all that "fun" bad stuff rather than about God.
ReplyDeletePosted songs** pardon the typo
ReplyDeleteas much as they do the rock/pop/rap **
things**
So I'm not sure what question of yours you want us to respond to, so I'll just answer a couple. Plus I'm still thinking you said choir is exempt from the jazz homework-let me know if you want me to and changed your mind.
ReplyDeleteAll music is worship – either of ourselves or of God. As musicians we are called BY MUSIC to share the message of OUR lives. But as CHRISTIAN musicians, we are called BY GOD to share the message of CHRIST. Are we doing this?
The messages we are called to share, don't just have to be about Christ. They can be love and something inspiring that you are meant to show to people. Not all worship music and appropriate music has to specifically include Christ and his teachings, death, or ressurection. Music can worship life and how great it is. I feel like the idea of CCM is trying to limit music by making it solely about God, but there is so much more to religion then just that. God teaches to love thy neighbor, so why can't worship music be about loving someone?
if you were Satan (I know, weird question) and you were trying to get people as far away from God as possible, how much would you try to paint God and the Church to be an illusion or a separate, un-relatable facet of life? How much would you try to make the world (which is all going to disappear one day) look “real”? How much would you encourage people to mold a God to fit their own ideas rather than to mold their ideas to God’s? How much would you tell them that all the things they enjoy are amoral (not part of a battle for their soul)? How much would tell them that only a cruel and boring God would like “unreal” music?
A lot of things that aren't considered religious or amoral actually are. I agree that a lot of people see their religious life as separate from their "real" life and that they are really one. But that doesn't mean we should only listen to worship music. As long as the music has a good moral and isn't highly offensive then its great. Music is about our lives and so is religion. Religion teaches us how to live our lives in all of its parts and not just the worship of god. So it is not just Satan trying to lead us to an amoral lifestyle because everything is religious even the music that isn't considered Christian.
In response to musicman:
ReplyDeleteI disagree when they said, Music I believe is the least concern for God. I agree with the last part of your argument that music can be a cry to god and a prayer type thing, but if so wouldn't he care about it? Is there anything God doesn't really care about or is it all important to him? I think most musicians make the music for themselves and sometimes it can be a conversation between them and God. Music is also therapeutic and in that way it can seem selfish. You are making music to feel better and perhaps get closer to God. It's like some peoples way to de-stress. So overall I agree with musicman except for his first comment.
In response to ilikedrums:
they said Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
- God is everywhere and in everything... Even music
So to me that would mean that all music is christian and I agree with that to a certain extent. Obvously inappropriate cussing offensive music isn't christian, but maybe there is some piece of it that is. And maybe music is like in the bible where there are some stories that show you what to do and some that show you what not to do. Maybe some music is made to show us a bad example in life and to stay away from that. Its probably not the artists intention to do this, but maybe its Gods.
in response to crazierforcheer:
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I believe that it is his own choice to what kind of music he prefers listening to. He has a mind and can make decisions on his own. But, He probably likes hearing us raise our voice in songs to praise for Him.
Does it even matter because we will never know for sure what he likes? And wouldn't it be weird if God only wanted to listen to music that worshiped himself? Isn't that incredibly self-absorbed? We can only try to listen to appropriate music. We came to Earth to learn, what would we learn if we only listened to one type of music?
Well, that was reallllly long. This is Rachel WOOD and if I don't get credit for this long of an entry thats just sad. Just kidding:) Well actually I do want credit...
mk i tried to post this before but im not sure if it worked so im trying again...
ReplyDeleteIn response to Kitty's blog,
I would agree when you say that the lyrics of christian music have been hammered into our brains since the beginning of time...it gets really annoying after awhile. i don't care for it. even besides the lyrics, it all seems to have the same feel about it, the same beats and the same dumb chords... i don't feel any personal connection to christian music. >.> i mean if you (not you kitty, just people in general) like it that's alright. i just don't care for it. And again, i agree when you say i have no idea what kind of music God likes. How could we know? :P and again, i would agree with kitty, He does care what music we listen to because of the messages in the music which is what we take to heart which is what God would be concerned about. And i like Sytem of a Down too :3
in response to musicman,
i would agree that there isn't really anything christian or unchristian about tones... and yes it is the human's release so if a human wants to preach, they could preach through music. But i would say you could have a christian song that doesn't even mention God's name or quote bible verses or something. it could be about love or happiness or anger.. and still relate to Christianity. like...showing of God, not directly telling like most christian music.
In response to Giorgio...
I would...disagree that without the lyrics there is no christian there. Christianity isn't only found in gospel songs or ccm or whatever it is. The same concepts ( i guess...) of Christianity like love of neighbor or gratefulness or ...i dunno...hate of evil or something like that can be found in a song with out mentioning God or bible verses or whatever. i...hope im making sense. im not saying there is no such thing as christian music, there certainly is...im saying that Christianity can be found in music that's not classified as christian. i can't really think of an example at the moment...but i know some songs like that.
Finally! Responses to Ms. Burk's question about what would you do if you were satan, etc. Uhm......this was sort of hard to follow so if i don't answer correctly i apologize but... i feel like what you're getting at, is that you're saying secular music supposedly makes the world seem separate from God and that if we like it better than Christian music then we are not being good Christians. If that is what you're trying to say...i disagree. I wouldn't say that's true at all. You can find music that's not marked as Christian that's not evil and dirty and icky. ...i dunno what else to say on the subject.
ReplyDeletehere I am to comment on blogs!!!
ReplyDeleteto my dear friend mirayam-I agree with you on the fact that music expresses a message,secular or not
to Trever"Bill"-I agree with you on thefact that secular music draws to us in a way that christian music has not achieved-but can you blonde it down for me?What is the level,and why hasn't chrisrian reached it?
to Barbie-I like your thinking about if God likes only one genre of music,it should not change our views on what music we like.
And to Raechel above-I did not mean to make Him sound self-absorbed.imean he probaly likes to hear a thank you now and then,and you can not knowwhat thoughts he is thinking,because we can not read minds,sowe do not know if he is really self-aborbed,or if he likes listening to Katy Perry.
First to Ms. Burks Question: As CHRISTIAN musicians, we are called BY GOD to share the message of CHRIST. Are we doing this?
ReplyDeleteI think that in some ways we are like in choir we are singing some religious songs while we are singing other songs that we as young people like.
Then responding to rpulver:
I really like what you said about christian music being music from the heart and soul.
Then responding to Emily Taylor:
I like what you said about God caring about all aspects of our life because that is so true.
Finally in response to dodoroxforeva:
I like what you said about people always finding something to judge.
Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI do think there are some more things Christian about music asides from the lyrics, depending on the person who’s listening to it. Because each person is touched in such a way by that the music alone can affect them.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
Were still listening to secular music because were drawn to it because some people may relate to the song and what it’s describing.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think god enjoys all kinds of music because there so many types of people that everyone can be touched in different ways by the different types of music.
How much should this last question matter to us?
I guess the last question should matter some to us, but not entirely because like I said before everyone has their own opinion and is touched in different ways.
Does God really care what we listen too.
I think god cares some about what we listen to because music is not the only way he reaches people and it’s not so much what we listen to but how we interact with it.
Musicman- I agree that it’s harder to relate to Christian music because when you lose someone or if something happens you’ll most likely be drawn to secular music because it talks about the same kinds of situations and we understand it better.
Trevor ”BILL”- I agree with you that god gave us music to express ourselves and by doing so it is Christian.
Barbie- I agree that whatever kind of music god listen’s to that it shouldn’t change our mind on what kind of music we like.
This is my answer to Miss Burke's questions.
ReplyDeleteI've thought a lot about your questions. If I were Satan, I would do whatever I could to keep a person from God. I would play to win and get to know their weaknesses. Then I could figure out what I needed to do to beat them down. People want to do what is easy and feels good. If I were Satan, I would want them to keep on thinking that way. Since I'd want to get my message across LOUD and CLEAR, the smartest and quickest way would be through television, movies, and music.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? Copy and paste these questions into your blog and answer each one.i think that very rare but u find some big christian lovers of music and u feel uncomfortable around them we u find out but when u get a taste of a lil bit then u realize how amazing christian music is and i experience that today and i just want to thank you guys i dont think gods cares wat we listen to but say if it takes over our lives and makes us become wat god doesnt want us to be then ya he would probly care a lot and he probly listen to rap but christian style or hippy christian style we listen to bad music cause some of the music we listen to expresses our live as human beings
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteWell the lyrics are what explain the story you are trying to explain in the song. The music kind of just goes along with the lyrics to enhance what you are saying.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
I don't know why but this question bugs me. If we have church service shows on TV why don't we just stop going to our actual churches? Thats what it seems to be asking in my opinion. Of course we are all going to be listening to different stuff. I like so many different types of music. From Celtic, Folk and Indie to Hardcore Metal and Screamo. I love music, if it sounds good I'm listening to it!
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think God likes the kind of music that has substance. No matter the genre. Just like he loves all of his children he loves the music that they create. I think he especially enjoys mass ensemble's music!! :)
How much should this last question matter to us?
I never really thought about that question before. I guess it should matter because we care what he thinks about every other subject. Why not this one?
Does God really care what we listen to?
I think God cares about what we do with the message we take from the music we listen to. If we listen to and sing along with a song called for example F*** You by Celo Green (listening to the censored version of course) he wouldn't want us to go around doing the things that the person is doing in the song....but i don't think he'll punish us for listening to it.
And P.S.
I absolutely adore P.O.D.'s Youth of the Nation
another good song would be Carolina Liar's Show Me What I'm Looking For
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? Copy and paste these questions into your blog and answer each one.
ReplyDeleteWhile I do believe God created Music, I don't believe Music has anything to do with Him besides what supposed CCM bands say in their songs. Like, God created math but that doesn't mean 3+1 = Jesus. You know what I mean?
We listen to Secular music because frankly, they are more talented. CCM makes up a very samll minority in the music world, and it's just easier to listen to Secular music.
I think God is into all types of music, but he listens to the bands that we listen to, I mean, he's omnipresent, so he's in attendance to every concert, everywhere, that has ever happened. But if he had an iPod I bet true music would be on there, the stuff a band makes to get a point across or teach someone something, not all the sellout stuff you hear on the radio.
I'm really not sure how this should matter to us.
I think God cares what we listen to, but he cares only if we actully "listen" to it. Like, Music is here for a reason we dont want to put it to waste, but if we follow the message of some songs he would be rather dissapointed.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI think that the only thing that makes Christian music Christian music is the lryics.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
I think that people think that they will be cooler if they listen to music with cursing... Christain music does not have that.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
God enjoys all music because he loves us unconditionally.
How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to?
I shouldn't matter because we should listen to what we like.
I only had time to listen to one of the extra credit videos...great choice!!!...ms burk
Trevor "Bill":
ReplyDeleteI like your answer to the first question. We have passions for things that aren't Christian, but aren't necessisarily bad. I agree with you and I like the way you put that.
Miss Burk:
I don't quite agree with you. You make a great point, but I don't think everything should be this analyzed. I agree with the fact that what you sing is what you worship to a certain extent, but not all things that aren't Christian are bad. I think CCM is cool and it definately is a part of the real world, but it isn't the only thing in the real world.
Chris Waite:
You make a good point when you say that "It shouldn't matter because we should listen to what we like." I do agree with you to some extent. No one is perfect and I'm going to like some songs that maybe don't have the nicest lyrics and message. I think that God gave us free will so we could be free to follow what we believe. If we believe a song is cool, it dosen't necisarily mean that we've turned away from Christ and we'll never go to church again because it has a bad word in it. God forgives people, believe it or not.
Jakob:
3+1 = 4
Me Gusta! I like this, but your kind of contradicting yourself when you say this because a Catholic could tell you that God created everything. Sorry Charlie. ;)
I personally love this kind of music. I get so tired of turning on the radio and not being able to listen to it with people like my little brother or parents because it is so inappropriate and if i want to listen to something that we can all enjoy, its some old music channel, or country, not a huge fan. This music helps me during prayer, it can explain how i feel when im unable to but it into words. My favorite christian singers are Bebo norman and Super Chick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMBPheAz6U , and flyleaf sometimes.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? I actually listen to some christian music not only is it a good message for people but its great music and i like it If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? I think it's because God made us all different and we all like different things such as music What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? I think God likes any kind of music that spreads a good message about love How much should this last question matter to us? it should because we dont want to be listening to music that God not gonna like Does God really care what we listen to? I think he does
ReplyDelete1. Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteWhen i think of chirstian muic, not lyrics, i think of big organs, and lots of wind instruments with little to know bass.
2. If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music?
we are still listening to secular music because its what we like to hear. i mean this by those songs that get stuck in your head that you have all day. its because the beat is attractive, and its fun and easy to dance to, any popular song can clearly prove this point
3. What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys?
I think God enjoys all types of genres and styles, but i think he would prefer if they werent all about sex, money, and drugs. the thing i think God wants most is for us to hear something and it makes us happy when we hear that song instead of depressed.
4. How much should this last question matter to us?
The answer to this question has alot to do with faith, if we have little faith, then why does it matter what God wants to hear. but if we have lots of faith then we would want God to aprove of what we listen to so he wont be angry at us when we die.
5. Does God really care what we listen to?
i answered this question in the third one but as long as the music makes us in a lighter and greater mood, i think that is what God really cares about
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics? If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? Copy and paste these questions into your blog and answer each one.
ReplyDeletejuanita
1. A rhythm is a rhythm you really cannot say oh this song is godly or ungodly just by its rhythm its all about the words(lyrics).
ReplyDelete2. i am a faith follower to both CCM and secular music. i think people think Christian and think about your traditional church hymns and think boring. Also i think people are slightly convicted when they hear CCM(i know i am sometimes) and want to stay away from it. Also let’s say you like rap to find Christian rap music you have to go look for it. And it’s rarely played on the radio and they are a lot out there like: Lecrea, kj: 52, flame, Exodus, trip lee, etc. Because if your honesty traditional CCM has its own sound just like any other genre like third day, casting crowns, Jeremy camp, etc. all have the same type of feel.
3. i think God loves music that is not against his commandments and that is from the heart. I know people who cannot sing if their life depends on it but sing songs like Jesus saves from their heart and i think that what Gods hears is the heart not the rhythm or the dynamics of the song but the heart of the singer who is sing the song.
4. it should matter a lot because are relationship with God is the most important.
5. i think God does care what we listen to because what we hear stays in our mind and it reappears later in our mind which ends up in the heart and what is in our hearts dictates are actions.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI think that it doesn't matter what type of music is playing. If the lyrics are Christian then the songs are. However, the majority of people probably don't even really listen or care about the lyrics, popularity of a song is all about the beat and marketing.
If we have Christian music available why are we still listening to secular music? I think that there are several messages that are given in other secular music. For instance the song Young by Hollywood Undead is about how messed up the world is. I listen to it because I completely agree with that message. I think if we listen more carefully to words in songs, we will find that they all have this message that agree with all of us.
What kind/style/genre of music do you think God enjoys? I think that God enjoys all kinds of music, even though he may not agree with everything song writers do and sing about, he still loves them, because he created all of us in his image.
How much should this last question matter to us? Does God really care what we listen to? I think he cares about what we listen to, but he knows that everything will happen, and that we need to experience all of the bad in the world, and even all of the good. This last question should matter to us because we need to know that listening to bad music is not necessarily a bad thing, as I said early, people don’t really care about the lyrics, they care about the beat.
What do you think? Is there anything “Christian” about music itself aside from the lyrics?
ReplyDeleteI think music in itself is christian overall.
music started out as worship to God, so why wouldn't it be christian? Music deviated from its original course to form many different genres and subgenres. Now, we not only have worship music, but rock music, country music, rap, techno... The list goes on.
I think God doesn't listen to one certain kind of music, but i'm positive he likes Muse. And we might have Christian music, but people i think have become disenchanted with some christian music, a ton of it is the same. This last question should matter to us because we should remember how music started, as worship.
ReplyDelete