Monday, November 1, 2010

Your Turn!

So NOW you are finally blogging! Until the CCM blog, for the most part everyone blogged their opinion and remained unchallenged. Now you are finally thinking, reasoning and arguing. Cool beans!!


Lucy – I never heard indifference described in that way. It really made me think!

Paco – I agree that honesty should be a top priority in music. It goes right along with Lauren’s point that “if we sang a Christian song expressing morals we don't believe in, it'd be worse than not singing them at all”. Be honest about who you are. Live, speak and sing what you really believe.

Barbie – I like your passionate points – especially the ones about being made in the image of God and that He created music so it’s all good. 

Torta – I REALLY like your honest assessment. Thank you! (“I think that teenagers don’t listen to Christian as much as they do is because people like to hear thing that involve "parties, sex, drugs,doing hoodrat things with friends, and gossip and stuff" more than praising God. And that's because people talk about those things in real life and not like "Oh I asked God to forgive me last night." You know?”)

Elizabeth – Thanks for your honesty!  Sorry I was confusing!  I was not saying you are not a good Christian if you listen to secular music. I was challenging Musicman’s point (as well as several others) that secular music is “real” and CCM is not. I read a lot of arguments like “it’s only about God”, “it’s all the same”, “it’s not real”, it’s boring”, etc. These points are totally understandable with CHURCH SERVICE MUSIC but not CCM.

CCM deals with the entire gamut of “real” life including sex, suicide, drugs, hopelessness, abuse, anger, happiness, fun, etc. Much of CCM does not even mention God specifically. And there are many love songs (to PEOPLE not to God). If you want a specific song to go with each of these, let me know and I will post them. 

So Rachel, to your argument (“I feel like the idea of CCM is trying to limit music by making it solely about God… God teaches to love thy neighbor, so why can't worship music be about loving someone?”) CCM actually DOES sing about loving someone and DOES sing about everyday life. Give it a fair chance.

I think, in essence, Paco is saying the same thing in his blog. Really good points there…

And for the record I am not against secular music. But I do agree with many of you that whatever you listen to should be drawing you closer to God. If you think it is “not bringing you one way or the other” then you are fooling yourself. There are only two directions to go: closer to God or away from Him. There is no stagnate middle ground.

Am I rambling? Yeah! That’s what a blog does!

OK – to the assignment. What I want you to do over the next three weeks (and it is worth a lot of points!) is follow these instructions.  
P.S.  DO NOT wait until the end of week three to accomplish this.

1) Listen to music that you normally never listen to (any genre but keep it decent).
2) Post five compositions (genre, artist and song) that you heard (no links please). Mention the genre and styles you normally listen to.
3) Discover a new song that you have never heard before that you like (you have to really like it). It cannot be one of the five songs listed.
4) Think about why you like it (use the “squirrel” music analysis in your packet or on this blog spot).
5) Post a link of this new song with your explanation of why you like it.
6) Listen to someone else’s posted link and comment on it.

Your post should be modeled after this one:

Genre I normally listen to: Metal, Rap, New Age

New genre’s I am listening to: Jazz and Classical

New compositions I have heard:
1) Bach: Invention #13
2) Scott Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag
3) Beethoven’s Symphony #3 (Eroica)
4) Art Blakey and Thelonious Monk: Purple Shades
5) Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No.2

Composition I really liked:
Dizzy Gillespie and Louis Armstrong – Umbrella Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w&feature=related
I liked it because it matched his name for one – it was really dizzying! He was all over the place! I also loved his crooked trumpet (which I heard was an accident but then he liked the way it played after it was bent! It was great to see/hear the two greats together. It’s hilarious how bad Dizzy puffs his cheeks (REALLY bad form) and gets away with it.
Then there is the whole “conversation” give and take nature of Jazz. It’s so expressive of the mood – and always new!!! Everybody is interacting with their own unique, fresh sound. How do they know when to stop and let the next person take a little solo? And it’s all SO syncopated…

Commenting on SO-N-SO’s link:
(comment posted here)

39 comments:

  1. I normally listen to Rock, Metal and pop.
    I am now trying out Whatever That 1920's style of sing...Like frank sinatra style, and modern clasical music.
    Listening to:
    Requiem for a dream (music compilation)-Clint Mansell
    My Way-Frank Sinatra
    Mack the Knife-Bobby Darin
    Bloody Tears-Castlevania series
    Dream-Pied Pipers
    I really liked:
    Somewhere Beyond the Sea-Bobby Darin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoCrD88RP4
    I loved this song. It was so calming and I like singing it. The bass line is so catchy, and his voice is so great for this type of music. When you hear this song you can't help but smile. The instrumental break-down is catchy and is great to brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good Trevor! The only thing I would say is that you haven't listened long enough. Take a week and really go on a treasure hunt. The whole idea of this assignment is critical listening of music we have not listened to before. I really want you to take time to listen - not just skim or listen one time through... Thanks for your post though - it is pretty much exactly what I am looking for - and I LOVE "Somewhere Beyond the Sea"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its a wierd song but i like it lol. Trevor was write the base line is catchy. i was very confussing but im starting to understand it lol. but i do love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genre I listen to: Rock, Alternitave.
    New Genres I might listen to: Jazz, Classical.
    New Compostitions I have heard:
    Louis Armstrong: What a Wonderful World
    Louis Armstrong: When the Saints
    Go Marching In
    Vivaldi: Four Seasons
    Beethoven: Fur Elise
    Mozart: Turkish March
    Composition that I liked: Beethoven: Fur Elise
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1iZXyWLnXg
    I like this song because Beethoven is probably most known for this song. It has a mixure of deep feelings within the song. It starts out in a deep sad tone, then it burst out with a sort of happy feeling to it. I think that this song has a lot of character built into this musical piece. I think the reason for the deep feeling in the begining is becasue of the d flat and the certain chords that are played in the base clef. It is truly a master piece.
    Comment on Trevor"Bill" post.
    I think that the song choice was good. I think that it a a really good piece of Jazz, because it has a lot of energy it. It think that it is one of the best pieces of Jazz. One of the songs he chose was good, it was Requiem by Clint Mansell. It think that it is a song of deep feeling. It is a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 5 compositions of songs I found:
    enya-waterman orinoco flow-new age
    siouxsie and the banshees-kiss them for me-punk rock
    pasty cline-walkin after midnight-country
    def leppard-rock of ages-heavy metal

    The song I found separate from the other 5 was Sunday bloody Sunday by u2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ernz6ZCCN4M

    trever “bill” I like the song you chose just manly because ive heard it before and I really like the beat to it and the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the genres i normally listent to is hip hop, rock, r&b, rap sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I normally listen too rap, heavy metal, glitch hop, and basically everything else..lol, including this. I have heard this song sooo many times and in many different forms. David Gillespie is a really amazing player and so is satchmo. They both have played an integral part in American music history. Without them, we wouldnt have many of the genres that people are listing here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genre I normally listen to: "emo" and alternative

    New genres: pop, hip hop, rock

    New compositions I have heard:
    Speechless- Lady Gaga (pop/electronic/dance)
    We R What We R- Kesha(pop)
    Too Fake- Big Sean(hip hop)
    Black Betty- Spiderbait (rock/blues)
    Black and Yellow- Wiz (hip hop/rap)

    Composition I Really Liked:
    I couldn't really find a one single genre that this band is classified as but most of what i saw it classified as was rock sooo im gonna go with that and say it's rock.
    The Downfall of us All- A Day to Remember
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-lbg1QQ-Y
    (i didn't watch the video because i can't use youtube so i apologize in advance if its...not ok)
    I like this song for a couple of reasons.. i really like the vocals at the beginning of them yelling the rhythm if that makes sense. And i really like the chords of the guitar. It sort of makes me think of the sky. I dunno why. But anyways! I also like the lyrics of it too. The idea i kind of got from it was that the singer is saying that he never stays in one place and is always on the road and no one can pin him down but he likes it that way because "this town will be the downfall of us all". Meaning if he stays in one place, his town im guessing, he's going to fall. Also, the chords and rhythms themselves seem to have a pretty upbeat feel to it yet in some parts there's screaming in the background and there's sorrow "speckled" throughout it soooo it's kind of like it seems happy on the outside but sad on the inside and i think that's something everyone can relate to. Soooo yup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. genres i normally listen to rap,hip-hop,deep rap, and pop

    new genres country, honky tonk country

    new compositions i have heard:
    1. billy currington (pretty good at drinkin beer)
    2 uncle cracker (smile)
    3 zac brown band (free)
    4 jerrod neimann (lover,lover)
    5 luke bryan (rain is a good thing)
    6 toby keith (trailer hood)
    7 miranda lambert (the house that built me)

    the composition i like the best was:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQG7vcrQIlg
    zac brown band free
    one reason dealt with verteran day which deals incredibly with that also the beat is simple 4/4 and his voice is great and the lyrics really make u tear up great and amzing song it talks about how warriors are fighting for our freedom and we are here to thank so much and that we will never forget about them

    ReplyDelete
  11. The genres I usually listen to are: Contemporary and Alternative

    The new genres I am going to try to listen to are Country and Classical.

    The new compositions that I have heard are:

    1.) Smile by Uncle Kracker
    2.) The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks
    3.) All I wanna Do by Sugarland
    4.) Life is a Highway by Rascal Faltts
    5.) Before he cheats by Carrie Underwood

    One that I really liked was The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkuM65jJ2UI
    I liked the thunder and the guitar in the song!!

    The one that had nothing to do with the five though was Chicken Fried by Zach Brown Band
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vu11BA7Bc&feature=related
    I think that it is cool that he just likes the simple things in life and the beat is really catchy.

    Comment on Trevor "Bill"'s post
    I agree with trevor that this is very calming but still catchy. I liked it. The instrumental part was small but still cool

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Rachel Wood and...

    The genres I listen to: pop, oldies rock, country,classical, pretty much everything except...

    New Genre: Contemporary Christian

    Songs I liked
    1)Let the Waters Rise-Mikeschair
    2)Yours to Take-Jimmy Needham
    3)Water-Kristy Starling
    4)Great You Are Lord-Phillups, Craig, and Dean
    5)By Your Side- Tenth Avenue North

    One I really liked Revelation Song by Kari Jobe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3W8XI7W2w

    I loved how at certain parts its only the piano and her voice and it is so pure. The melody and the chord progression is amazing too. I like how it goes up and down in the notes. I also like the instrument at the beginning I don't know what it is like a harmonica? I don't know. This is definitely a song that will be added to my collection.

    Comment on JaneyCat Chicken Fried by Zach Brown Band. I love that song! It's so American. I especially like the part when it is about the army and the drum sounds like drums in the army. I think its the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genres I llisten to: Pop, Electronic, CCM and Contemporary Classical.

    New Genres: Alternative, and Metal.

    Songs I Liked:
    "Na Na Na" by My Chemical Romance
    "Dance Dance" by Fall Out Boy
    "Thanks For The Memories" by Fall Out Boy
    "Spit" by Kittie
    "A Vampires Lament" by Areyu

    FAVORITE: "Club Called Heaven" by Black Cards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQ1lbkGaWI

    I liked this song because it takes something fun, in this case, dancing, and makes it weird, like something like death. I love the bass in the song, and how it contrasts with the old style of sound. The songs style sounds like an "oldie" by it has a heavy bass to make it seem more modern.

    COMMENT on "Elizabeth's" song, "We R who We R" by Ke$ha:

    I LOVE THAT SONG. You have to look this up to understand it, but that song was actually written for her friend who committed suicide. I love the (sort of secret} meaning to that song. I also like how the synthisizer melody is so syncapated.

    This is Sylas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok
    Generes i normally listen to:
    Rock
    country
    pop
    alternative
    almost anything...

    New Generes im listening to:
    ummmm...
    Metal...

    New compositions i am listening to:
    Nothing Else Matters-Metallica
    One-Metallica
    In the end- Linkin Park
    Chop Suey-System of a Down
    Youth of the Nation-POD (if this one doesnt count then i put the next one!!)
    Enter Sandman-Metallica

    Composition i really liked:
    In the End by Linkin Park
    i liked this song the most of the compositions that i have heard because it is mor like most songs that i listen to i guess. I also looked up the lyrics and i decided that they are really good. i also like other Linkin Park songs and so i did find this one that way. i think this song has a good amount of smashy parts and they do well on the not so smashy parts too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. heres my link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWbgkRpYwcoh yeah and i comment on...
    well do we have to comment on something we havent heard???

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok
    i will comment on Elizabeths and warmans

    We R Who We R:
    i heard this one in the car for the first time the other day and i really liked it. i like the beat not to mention it is more in my genre of music that i listen too, i think it has a nice rythm and beat, i like ke$ha and so i really like it.

    Rain Is A Good Thing:
    This is a really good country song. it really criticizes city people :) i think that these lyrics are really good if you listen to them and i think that they have meaning if you listen to them they are saying that at the end of the day you can just get forget about all your worries, although itsd not a great way to do that, it is still a good song, and lukje bryan has a good voice personal opinion...

    Smile:
    love this song!!!i have to say that the beat of this song is cute!!! i love the lyrics to this song because i think this is what we should all try and make others feel, i can relate because i feel this way all the time and thats why im always smiling, cus i always have people making me smile. I think that we should all think about the lyrics to this song because they are very meaningful and they might mean something different to different people, but it sends a positive message!!! :)
    ok i'll stop now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Juanita:
    genre: I honestly like anything that has meaning or that makes me dance but I probably lean towards the hip-hop, pop, r&b soul and alt.
    Songs:
    1. whip my hair by willow smith
    2. Jesus saves by Jeremy camp
    3. day and night by kid cudi
    4. Bottoms up by trey songz
    5. People make the world go round by stylistics

    Wake up everybody
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooz_zaxtXJg

    When I first heard this song it reminded me of an old 70's song. I love songs that are more than just partying, don’t get me wrong I like party songs, but I think there’s not enough songs that give a real message. I love the strings at the end of the chorus it sounds to me like almost a whole new song for a second and drifts back into the main rhythm or melody. The melody changes at the chorus it has a more of a upbeat it sounds like hope which goes along with what they are saying. My favorite part of this song is when Common raps because people are always trying to put down rap and say it’s all bad. Well it’s not you have artist like Common , theory hazit, kid cudi etc. who actually rap about issues. But back to Common I like the line:
    Created in this image so God live through us
    And even in this generation, living through computers only love love love can reboot us.
    He relates a serious message about love to the listeners by relating to something we use every day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Genres I normally listen to: Metal and rock

    New Genres I am listening to: Rap/Hip Hop, Electronic, and film score

    New compositions I have heard

    Roar! - Michael Giancchino (film score)
    Born too Slow - The Crystal Method (electronic)
    Hunger - Hans Zimmer (film score)
    Keep Hope Alive - The Crystal Method (electronic)
    So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys (Rap/Hip Hop)

    Composition I really liked
    John Powell - Test Drive (film score)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5N3q68e7OQ

    I like this song because it made me feel as a part of the experience. John Powell has named this piece an appropriate name: Test Drive. When I heard this song in the movie How to Train Your Dragon and immediately thought: "Whoever made this song and the rest of the score for this movie is a genius." The strings really brought out the best sound. I also really like the fact that the brass added the crescendo/accent effect in the beginning and toward the middle. By far, my favorite song from a film score. The mood felt adventurous, yet, suspenseful and promising.

    Comment for nenego24's post

    Nice post! While I was listening to your post, I kept thinking about politicians and what we as a whole can do. This type of collaboration is a great one. I agree with you that these days, people put down rap as "bad" music. I also agree with you that yes, there ARE rappers out there who DO talk about social issues, politics, economics, etc. One of my favorite rappers TECH N9NE talks about racism, his life, religion, crime, etc. overall, ISSUES. Back to this post, I really liked the line "...The world has changed so very much from what it used to be, there is so much hatred, war, and poverty..." This line shows what is REALLY happening around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  19. im usually open to anything really but one genre i wanna really listen too is foriegn hiphop...and stuff like that but mostly forehn
    (i dont know how to spell it obviously) im going to put six songs then the link...cause the sixth one i like but not enought to be the link

    On/Off-Futatsu no Kodou to Akai Tsumi
    Kanon Wakeshima-still doll
    Kanon Wakeshima - Suna No Oshiro PV W/ Romaji
    ON/OFF rondo
    (RH!F) Aa!First Kiss inne-Rondo)
    [H!F] Buono - Kiss Kiss Kiss

    one i really liked is:Rain Savage - Man I'm Coming Down
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5B0XItDpSM

    ReplyDelete
  20. I usually listen to a lot of everything except country maybe one or two songs but my favorite is rap,rock,metal,screamo, so really everything

    1.Big green tractor-jason aldean
    2.Watching you-Rodney Atkins
    3.Love your love the most-Eric church
    4.Im still a guy-Brad Pasiley
    5.Gone country-Alan Jackson
    6. Check yes or no George Strait
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxS8wlDngI


    Warman im with you i love this song what a great pick when i hear this i cant help but sing along its one of those songs thats easy to sing with thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Genres I normally listen to: Screamo, "emo", Punk, Rock, Alternative.

    New genres I listened to: Blues from the 60's, modern day pop, and Hip Hop/Rap

    New songs I listened to
    Love The Way You Lie- Rihanna feat. Eminem
    Joan Baez- Forever Young
    Fireworks- Katy Perry
    We R Who We R- Ke$ha
    Bye, Bye Baby- Janis Joplin

    My favorite composition was
    Requiem- Joan Baez
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHCsR7aqFhI
    I really liked this composition because it has a very good message and it is a prayerful song. It was written for a good cause. When I first heard this song it made me sad because it talks about all the tragedy in the world. By the lyrics you can tell what the song was written for. At first when she says, "Mother Mary full of grace" it made me think of my grandma and almost made me cry. Its a song many people can relate to. This song is slow and it starts off with soft acoustic guitar. It is the kind of song that you would play for someone that is having many life issues. I like that there are basically only strings because that just adds to the whole plead of the song. At the end it speeds up a little and near the end you can hear some bongos but they are played softly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I normally don't listen to country .
    1) i won't back down - johnny cash.
    2)deadman's gun - ashtar command.
    3) far away - Jose Gonzalez.
    4) compass ( red dead on arrival version ) - Jamie Lidell.
    5) bury me not in the lone prairie - William Elliot Whitmore.
    the song i never heard is big iron by Marty Robbins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGmUsJvRv7U i like it because it tells a story of an Arizona ranger who finds a wanted criminal and kills him in a duel also it has very clear lyrics.
    to trevor " bill " that song is a very good one it is very jazzy and sounds like a song from the 50's which had a lot of great song in that period of time and also it sounds a little like a love song.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well i listen to mostly everything country, rock,rap, r&b, techno, screamo, soft rock, lol slow jams,
    soooooooooooooo................ i decided to think outside the states so i listened to:
    Indian Music
    J-Pop(japanese music)(groups: Hinoi Team & V6)
    Celtic Music( even gothic) :O
    these genres are really good i suggest you check them if you have never heard them i like the celtic mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Genre I normally listen to: Christian, Alternative, Rock, World

    New genre’s I am listening to: Electronica, Gospel, Dance

    New compositions I have heard:
    1) Say It’s All Mine (Moby)
    2) Monosylabik (DJ Shadow)
    3) Heartbrake “Make Me a Dancer” (Freemasons)
    4) Pose (Kaskade)
    5) Jesus Rhapsody, Pt. 1 (Preacher & The Saints)

    Composition I really liked:
    Frank Jansen & ValLimar Jansen – Wade in the Water
    http://www.myspace.com/tedperlman/music/songs/wade-in-the-water-vallimar-jansen-64367475
    I heard this song originally last weekend at my Youth Conference. I think that part that I really like is how basic it is. It is almost the same exact lyrics repeated repeatedly with the same musical themes played repeatedly. I also really like the strong beat. I cannot help but tap my feet along with the bass drum. Something that also sticks out to me is how well the sound matches the message. The message is about how we have to struggle through life challenges for God and wade through the water because God does not make the life of Christians easy. The song is in a minor key which adds to this struggling sound.

    Commenting on nenego24 link:
    I totally agree with you. The rap part of Wake Up Everybody is totally awesome. Rap is so interesting because it creates a beat with the person voice, but it is so hard to find good rap that is not demeaning or just plain angry. The line about how only love can reboot us is genius. I love when people reference science and to hear a religious song talk about technology is really cool. I think my favorite part of the song however is right after the rap until the ending because all of the singers break into their own little parts and seem to jam with their voices. The resulting bit of chaos is fun and very upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I normally listen to rock, metal, punk, Indie, and crunkcore(screamo rap). For this I decided to check out some jazz. I never gave it a really good listen. These are the songs I picked:
    1.Louis Armstrong- Hello Dolly
    2.It Don't Mean a Thing- Duke Ellington
    3.Duke Ellington- Satin Doll
    4.Louis Armstrong- Mack the Knife
    5.Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong- Summertime

    Piece I Really Liked: Dixie Music Man by Louis Armstrong. I liked it cuz it mixed 2 genres that i hardly listen to, jazz and rap. This is an early version of rap. Now the video I saw added a drum beat until the real drummer started to improv. I like how Louis introduces every body right before they play. This video also shows how things were like back then and I think that's pretty cool. Now Louis keeps it simple except for the solos which is fine. He also kept a good timing for his rap. See, modern rap has set an image in our mind that rap is drums a keyboard and a guy talking, but Louis Armstrong made it awesome with a jazz ensemble

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry I forgot to put up the post.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5M9ZOatUZw

    ReplyDelete
  27. I normally listen to classic country, country, and metal. I normally don't listen to hip hop or rap, but I picked these songs:

    1.Black and Yellow- Wiz Khalifa
    2.DJ got us falling in love again-Usher
    3.Just a Dream- Nelly
    4.Love for money-Willie da Kid
    5.Please Don't go- Mike Posner

    The song I decided to post is Just the way you are by Bruno Mars.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

    I like the song because I really like the beat. Also the way it sounds is pretty unusual from what I normally listen to. It has a piano and drums playing. I really like the effects on the video as well, mainly because it is really original using the tape from a cassette to make faces and better describe the song.

    I am commenting on Tony's and warman's link.
    I really like the Zac Brown Band and to think that 2 years ago they were pretty much unheard of and to where they are now. I like the song free because the tune of it and the rhythm of the guitars is very nice. I agree with Tony saying that "when i hear this i cant help but sing along"

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job guys. I REALLY enjoyed listening to your music and reading your analysis. Sorry to take so long to grade. The computers are down at work and after two days of trying to get in I finally went to the library. So the grades are on paper anyway... Anyone else want to post - this week is a free week so I won't count anyone late if you can get it in before Monday. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Genres I normally listen to: Pop, Rock n'Roll, Rock, and Rap.

    New genre’s I am listening to: Blues, Classical (Style), and Jazz.

    New compositions I have heard:
    1. A String of Pearls by Glenn Miller
    2. Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker
    3. Tennessee by Hans Zimmer
    4. The Man I Love by Billie Holiday
    5. Asturias by Isaac Albeniz (Performed by John Williams)

    Composition I really liked:
    Crossroad Blues by Robert Johnson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A

    I really liked Asturias by Isaac Albeniz but I like this song better because I have recently began a study in the blues style of music. The History behind this song is very intresting and inspired a lot folklore about the crossraods. I like this song also because you can hear how the blues influenced rock n' roll. Adding the swing beat of jazz with blues created the music that defined the next generation. You see the similarites when you hear Eric Clapton's version of "Crossroads".

    Comment on Andrew Yoon's blog:
    I totaly agree with andrew on the feel of the song. I have not seen the movie so i am listening to it with an imaginary mind and the music guides the emotions and images. I picture that someone is on a wonderful and adventerous journey. I really like the percussion section in the opening combined with the strings. It has a medieval feel to it. The way the strings are played it almost sounds like an irish or scottish influence. I can see it being background music to an irish dance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. For anyone intrested, here's a pretty cool example of how the Blues and Rock are similar. It also has a surprise ending going back to the main roots of "Guitar Shredding" with discipline. This is from a movie called "Crossroads". Its a really good movie and has great music. Ralph Macchio plays the blues style and Steve Vai plays the Rock based guitar.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BkhXAmM3U

    ReplyDelete
  31. Genre I normally listen to: Rap

    New genre's I am listening to: Country

    New compositions I have heard:
    1. Zac Brown Band: Toe's
    2. Zac Brown Band: Chicken Fried
    3. Toby Keith: I Love This Bar
    4. Sugarland: It Happens
    5. Sugarland: We Run

    Composition I really liked:
    Zac Brown Band: Toe's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8Nkn3Xjes
    I like Toe's by Zac Brown Band because it is easy to listen to. Usually I know country music to be wangy and tangy this song isn't. I really like to tune to it also. It was fun to listen to. I liked so much that I picked up my iPhone and went to iTunes and bought the song and the ringtone. I think the song is about a bunch of guys enjoying themselves in the summer. The video is hilarious.

    Commenting on Lucy:
    I heard that song too. I was also at little rock for the regional catholic youth conference. That is a great song for rcyc. I liked there because it was perfect for the community. She is also a very talented singer. By the way I met her during the big mass. Go Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I normally listen to: alternative, pop, screamo(:
    Now I'm listening to rap, country and reggae.

    New Compositions I've heard:
    1. International Love by Fidel Naval (reggae)
    2. Lil PNut You Might be the One for Me (rap)
    3. Johnny Cash and June Carter Jackson (country)
    4. Miranda Lambert - Gunpowder & Lead (country)
    5. The Kids B.O.B. (rap)

    Composition I liked:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpGJgYp0RY
    The Kids B.O.B.
    I loved the bass and just the back beat of the song! I was fun to listen to and I actually understood every word he said! And the featured girl was really good to! I loved her voice! Just over all I thought it was a great piece.

    Commenting on Devon:
    I totally agree with the Just the Way You Are video post! It is great to see how original the video is and that hip hop artists today have really expanded on their styles! The video is really neat!(:

    ReplyDelete
  33. This post is from Giorgio Johnson

    Genre I usually listen to is Country.

    Genre I am listening to is Rock.

    New Songs I have heard are:
    Bat Country By Avenged Sevenfold
    In my time of dying By Led Zepplin
    Black Betty By Spiderbait
    Little Smirk By Theory of a Dead Man
    Sunshine Of Your Love By Cream

    Song I really Liked:
    When the Levee Breaks by Led Zepplin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGXCTtv7dXw
    I really love how the drums keep the same beat bum bum pow bum bum pow. I also really love how the guitars are the same volume as the rest of the other instruments because sometimes the guitars are louder that the others. I also really like the harmonica I think that it makes the song.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The genres i normally listen to are rock, metal, alternative, indie, jazz, big band, rap, hip-hop, and just about anything else.

    I will attempt to listen to techno and classical.

    1.) 1812 overture by tchaikovsky
    2.) The planets by Holst(Mars, the bringer of War)
    3.)Crystal Castles - Crimewave
    4.)The Bloody Beetroots ft. Steve Aoki - WARP
    5.)FRAUENARZT & MANNY MARC - DISCO POGO

    The composititon i liked the most was definetly by far Crimewave by Crystal Castles. I think that this kind of music is absolutly crazy and fun which is why it is primarily used for parties and what-not. Its a more creative use of the electronic sound that has a clear and driving beat which is awesome.

    Commenting on Toria:
    Something i like about B.o.B. is that you can actually understand his lyrics which is amazing considerring most people in his genre are bad about poeple understanding rap lyrics and watnot.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I listened to jazz genre 1. Cherokee by Wynton Marselis 2. Carnivsl in venice by Wynton Marselis. 3. Blue in Green by Miles Davis. 4. Basin street blues by Louie Armstrong. 5. Bourbon Street Parade by Wynton Marselis. I usally listen to Hiphop and Rock. A new song that I really like was Hayden trumpet concerto pt 2. I liked it because it was calming and it was interesting to see a jazz muscian playing classical.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06_gatm_MpQ

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am replying to Giorgio. I really enjoyed "when the Levee breaks" by Led Zeppelin because I like evrything about it. Guitair bass Drums everything and also the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just got on Powerschool and... I forgot to blog here, and it brought down my grade like insanely a lot. I probably shouldn't be so horrified by the prospect of having a 'B,' but... Whatever.

    Genres I usually listen to: Anything but country, rap, screamo, Metallica, and most mainstream music (I don't bother breaking mainstream music into genres, I just say, "Oh, people are talking about this song. Should I listen to it? *listen to half of song* Nope." I generally don't try that anymore.)

    New genres: Techno, rap, pop, something that I can't really put a genre to but falls into the category of 'stupid,' and the genre of stuff that makes my ears bleed (I hear it's called country)

    1) Toby Keith - I love this bar - Stuff that makes my ears bleed (and indeed it did)
    2)Kesha - Blah blah blah - Pop
    3)Darude - Sandstorm - Techno
    4)Eminem - Not Afraid - Rap
    5)Jonas Brothers - Fly with Me - Stupid

    Your call is very important to us. Please hold.

    I really liked If I had You by Adam Lambert. I was really surprised, because I was listening to 102.7 to try to find a song I liked. My sister knew the name, so very shocking (SARCASMM), and I came here to write! Yay! Anyway. I was surprised because 102.7 doesn't play good stuff. Actually, it was a while ago, when I was actually planning on writing this blog. Nobody plays it anymore. They overplayed it (SHOCKER) on every station, and it stopped being liked. Even on my station (they only started playing it while it was at it's peak on KJ 103)! It makes me depressed when even the good stations overplay stuff and then NOBODY plays it. I still like the song, because they didn't overplay it as badly as SOME stations. *cough* KJ 103 *cough* Anyway. I'M STARTING NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Genre I normally listen to: Indie, Soul, R&B, Pop, Alternative

    Genres I started listening to: Country & Metal

    Compositions i Listened to:
    1. Mama's Song By Carrie Underwood
    2. Warriors of the World By Manowar
    3. Giddy On Up By Laura Bell Bundy
    4. Everything is Fine By Josh Turner
    5. My Kinda Party By Jason Aldean

    The one I liked most was Laura Bell Bundy's. The message is neat and the actual song just makes me want to sing along. Also Josh Turner's voice goes so low in the song i listened to it blew my mind. I think the main reason i like that particular song so much was just listening to his tone. I really enjoyed listening to new music but when i was done with the three weeks i was glad to go back to listening to my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. genre i usually listen to: acoustic, alternative

    genres i listened to for this: techno, country, and indie

    carrie underwood- cowboy casanova
    mgmt- kids
    daft punk- around the world
    daft punk- aerodynamic
    julia nunes- maybe i will

    favorite:
    julia nunes- the debt
    i stumbled upon this one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_itJ5cVQjeU
    this is a pretty cool song. it's just the girl and her uke and other cool sounds made by her mouth. it's almost like a beatbox except they're clipped together seperately rather than all at once. the cool thing about her song is 1) she's playing a uke, you don't see that too often.
    another thing is that, if you actually pay attention to what her lyrics are, it's kind of a downer. it's about leaving and knowing that you're still looking for that right someone, but the actual music part of it is pretty cool and happy. i think it's a pretty cool song. and the way the different beats and sounds comes together in the backgound. because you can hear the snaps, but if you really pay attention, they're actually on the offbeat of the song rather than the on beat. and that's something you usually don't hear.

    ReplyDelete