Wednesday, May 4, 2011

WEEK #2


If you are just now starting to blog, please go to the last blog to understand what you are supposed to be doing.  HOWEVER, you are to post your Week #2 answers here.  Continue to refer to the "Putting Our History in Perspective" blog for the remainder of this 4-week blog. Remember this is part of your final: FIRST to present your music and period, SECOND to test on the terms covered in the history timeline.

This Week:
1) Read the entire diagram/timeline again and take notes (for yourself - you do not need to post your notes). Finish listening to the links.  State that you have done both.

2) Choose one period that stands out to you and post it. Tell why in at least three sentences.

3) Gather more information on that period and prepare a presentation which you will post next week.  Make sure you gather more information on that period than I have given in the blog.  Investigate composers, music development, instrumentation, music form (sonatas, operas, polyphony?), culture and how music reflected the culture, etc.

P.S. Congratulations to Paco Grose for winning the iTunes card for the second month in a row!  In case you don't remember, you earn points if you are one of the first five to blog.  It has to be a blog earning an A.  You get 5 points if you are first, 4 if you are second, 3 if you are third and so on. 

28 comments:

  1. this is about the Baroque Period 1600-1750, really the only reason why im doin this period is cause of bach. i <3 him :)
    the other people in this period are: Vivaldi of Italy, Handel of Germany, A. Scarlatti of Italy, Couperin of France, D. Scarlatti of Italy, Lully of France, Corelli of Italy, Rameau of France, Monteverdi of Italy, and Purcell of England. they also started havin new msuic stlyes like: opera, sonata, oratorio, suite, fugue, and concerto. some characties of this period are: the figured bass (basso continuo), one mood pieces, strong string sections,modes replaced by major/minor key, different forms (bimary, fugue [no clue what that is by lookin at it]), different types of music, lively rhythms, long melodies, many ornaments (....) and contrasts.
    YEA BACH :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRqHTeKcHPA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will choose the homophonic, only because it really opens your eyes open to differents sounds from the just bland other stuff and i have my notes do we turn those in

    ReplyDelete
  3. homophony, musical texture based primarily on chords, in contrast to polyphony, which results from combinations of relatively independent melodies. In homophony, one part, usually the highest, tends to predominate and there is little rhythmic differentiation between the parts, whereas in polyphony, rhythmic distinctiveness reinforces melodic autonomy.

    Homophony does not necessarily suppress counterpoint, however. The “Allegretto” in Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony offers an excellent example of essentially homorhythmic counterpoint, since it combines two distinct, yet rhythmically identical, melodies. An early genre featuring homophony of this sort is the 13th-century conductus.

    In the 15th century, Italian secular compositions of popular derivation (e.g., the frottola) were often homophonically conceived, as were numerous 16th-century pieces by Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli and Carlo Gesualdo. Not until the 17th century, however, with such composers as the Italians Arcangelo Corelli, Claudio Monteverdi, and Giacomo Carissimi and the German Johann Hermann Schein, did homophony become dominant in Western music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like most the Baroque Era. I am a fan of opera, and operas and orchestras were concieved in the 1600-1750s :)) I enjoy this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXciAQ .
    It's whatish would be played in this era. I like the idea of one-fourish main soloist(s) over an orchestra, which I read was mostly started in the Baroque era. I love the contrast of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose the Classical era. I love all the piano that was used. I love how one composer broke the rules to his music and created a new way of playing. He composed Moonlight Sonata and at that time the way he composed it was new. He was the first to do what he exactly did. I would like to do mine on sonata form in different songs and how it can change. I love this song because I t really shows what a Sonata is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmYLRZkzc7M

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done all my notes and have read the entire diagram again, and I have listened to the rest of each link. I really like the Baroque Period because the music is really lively and energetic. The information given said that it took a drastic turn to simplicity, but this does not sound like simplicity, and it does sound like homophonic. I expected the Baroque Period to be slow and dramatic (of course I’d never actually listened to anything Baroque-ish), but instead it was dramatic and becoming! It was actually really cool.
    The Baroque Period was known for its inconsistency and self-expression. The differences between the pieces can be quite astounding and different. Baroque means “highly decorated”, and it fit too, because it was decorated with character and creativity, and filled with fun. It was mostly for dancing and singing and the opera appeared around this point. The oratorio also came about-it was like an opera but without scenery. The most famous (and coolest) oratorio was written by Handel and is called The Messiah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is musicman, my account is messin up.

    I think that we could have taken one more step into the Romantic period with Chopin and all that jazz, but these are good too. I'd say that out of these choices that I will have to go with the Baroque Period as my favorite. It is my favorite because well it's the time of Bach!!! They were knocking on the door of innovation, and Bach comes and kicks it down!! BAM!!! BIG HIT!!! Anyways it's also the period when music took a large leap into modern music and modern techniques were created and mastered. This song I have chosen is an interesting piece because of the fact that it is a great song and also has some controversy. It shows great “text painting” throughout this song and I really enjoy it. I am not sure if it truly is from the Baroque Period so I will give some history below.

    Adagio in G Minor by Tomaso Albinoni & Remo Giazotto

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-F6j1j48ac&feature=fvst

    The History:
    Tomaso Albinoni was a baroque composer and was later studied by 20th century musicologist Remo Giazotto. Giazotto is famous for his publication of a work called Adagio in G minor, which he claimed to have transcribed from a manuscript fragment of an Albinoni sonata that he had received from the Dresden State Library (now the Saxon State Library) from among the relics of its collection, shortly after the end of World War II. He stated that he had arranged the work but not composed it. He subsequently revised this story, claiming it as his own original composition. The fragment has never appeared in public; Giazotto stated that it contained only the bass line, and the work was copyrighted by Giazotto, however many people still attribute it to Albinoni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Renaissance sticks out to me.
    It's instrumentation interests me. The sound is similar to some songs i like today. This is a fun period to study.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have listened and read everything again. I have taken notes.
    I really like the Baroque Period because it grew leaps and bounds from the Renaissance Period for me. It was the first complex music that I had heard throughout the blog. I am interested to find out why music was going along slowly and steadily and then just exploded. I credit this to the Baroque Period. I am interested in learning about it.
    During this time the Protestant Reformation had just happened. The Catholic Church encouraged the Baroque Era because it would help communicate the church's themes and ideas. This was all art forms, not just music. For example, architecture,music, paintings, sculptures, etc. The "Baroque" term comes from an Italian word meaning bizarre. The great composers in this era, Vivaldi, Handel, and Bach, all used many instruments in their compositions. This time was a period that expressed the "structure of the universe" through melodic and structured composition.
    -Kbond

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading the time line I've decided that I like the Middle Ages/ Dark Ages.
    Rhythmic notation is used still today and this period is when it was developed.
    The sounds of Leonin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TDS255jSE&feature=related were so different from what I expected to hear. From the first note that I heard I knew this was a cool era. I am looking forward to hearing and learning more about this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The monophonic period stood out to me because it is so different from music today. I like the in unison/chant sounds. The history of that period was also interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. #1. This is Marianne.
    #2. I did last weeks blogs, and read/listened through the whole blog... so please give me some points for that! [you said you would in class :P]
    #3. I have read through the information twice and have taken notes.
    #4. I am going to further research more in depth the Baroque period because I have sung some of the composers music before, such as ANTONIO VIVALDI. Also, the Baroque Periods seems to have been one of the most revalutionary periods for music. Between movements, new dynamics, and operas- this period exploded with new sounds (including secular music which was seperate from the Catholic church.) Arias, duets, and ensembles were introduced and more popular during this time as well!


    This link is REALLY cool: "Vivaldi's STORM"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00XKtROddc
    you can really feel the music in this song. The dynamics really pop out and you can feel what the composer is trying to convey! The music captures your attention within the first 10seconds, which is how a lot of music was in the Baroque period. Captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i will choose homophony.i love Mozart and Beethoven.they're the magic of music.the piano is quite but some times you play it different way will make it more motion if u listen it really care.right now,our music can play different things not all the same.more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homophonic because the Classical Period is what I am most familiar with. This time period had Mozart and Beethoven, two of my favorite composers of this era. The onset of the piano forte is what makes things interesting to me. To make things short, it also had Haydn who was known as the Father of Symphony and Beethoven's deafness which unleashed his creative abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have finished reading and listening to all of the peices. I am choosing the Baroque period, because one of my favorite composers was born in it: Bach. Bach was born in 1685, and he died in 1750. It also has new sounds; new dynamics, new Operas, and movements.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have takin notes& finshed the link!
    I am gonna do the Baroque Period. i like it because of its spring time soft feel and how it dosnt sceme like anything from that era. I m excited to learn more about it (:

    -Parker

    ReplyDelete
  18. I re read everything and rewatched the videos. I think that I would like to do the rennissance period because it is a really cool period in history. When we talked about i lt in history class we didnt really talk about the music aspects. So I think that it would be really cool to learn about the musical aspects of a period that we talked about specifically in history class.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I reread everything, and have started taking notes. I finished up listening to all the links also. I think I'm gonna do my report on the Classical Period for several reasons.
    1) Why is it called CLASSICAL? What is it being compared to?
    2) Why does everyone refer to instrumental past music as CLASSICAL? Why don't we differentiate between all the different periods in everyday talk?
    3) I know the most about these composers and music, so it will be neat to learn more about the historical significance of what they were doing.
    4) I loooove how there are no guidelines fo what they have to do with their music (See SURPRISE SYMPHONY!)
    Think that's it....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aaron-
    I am going to do my report on the classical period. The reasons why are because one I know most about the classical period, two it really took free rein on music and explored harmony an melody and the other aspects as a whole part together, and three the composers stood out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’m gonna go with the classical period. I like Beethoven and Mozart tons. Therefore, it’s quite fitting for me to do this period. Plus, even though I can’t always seem to stay awake in the philharmonic, I love playing classical music. i feel as though the classical period had more dynamics and more emphasized the tone and structure of music more than any other period.

    ReplyDelete
  22. week 1- i have listened and read it all

    week 2- i have listened and read it all again.
    i have decided to do the baroque period, reasons:
    1. it is when the forte piano started to grow
    2. i dont really like classical music, but i really like bach
    3. i searched on youtube and i love this video of baroque music...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoGmaVr12w... so i picked baroque

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is Elizabeth Personette. Or Kitty. Or whatever you feel like calling me.

    I listened to it and read it all. I'm doing the classical period. Reasons:
    a) Beethoven.
    b)The piano forte was invented - and Beethoven made them make it better because he was such a boss that the dainty little pianos they were making couldn't take how awesome he was.
    c)I'd like to show how classical music has it's own signature and that not all music with an orchestra should be lumped into the "classical" category.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is Lizzy, and I'm too lazy to sign out of my mom's account. That's why it says Dorrie.

    Alrighty, I have read the entire diagram again and finished listening to the links. I have chosen the classical period because
    a) I like the composers from this period.
    b) I enjoy the music they composed
    c) To me it seems more expressive and capable of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I chose the Classical period because:
    1) I like the way the songs are written (not all over the place, but in nice little neat forms)
    2) The composers from this period are some of the best composers of all time and they are legends for a reason.
    3) It sparked my intrest listening to Beethoven’s piece because I found myself imagining what the Romantic period sounded like, and why he was considered the bridge between this period and that one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. im going to choose the late renaissance period because in the little information paragraph it said that when the musicians played in during church they would get in trouble because they had so many intstruments and melodies going at once and i like it when there are a lot of intsruments and sounds happening at once really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have finished listing to all the pieces and have decided to my essay about the middle and dark ages because I thought it sounded really cool and liked how they realized that they could make the music sound cool by putting it in the way they did.

    ReplyDelete