Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hi! Welcome to "Squirrel!"

The reason you are reading this right now is because you have to in order to pass your class. This is probably a bit of a turn-off to "Squirrel!!!" Naturally, I would like you to think: "Hey! Let's see what the post is for this week! I can't wait to listen to the music, give a geeky analysis and see what others are saying!" Maybe it will get that way but until then, I hope you will at least find "Squirrel!!!" surprisingly interesting and easy to participate in (OK, I just ended in a preposition - I am NOT an English teacher... Hey! Squirrel!!!...).

Here is the first example analysis. Maybe you can pattern your analysis something like this. Your link is posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA
You click on this, listen to it - ideally more than once. I may have a few questions or idea posted already.
1) First time just listen
2) Then pick something that stood out to you and use the Listening Criteria Guide in your survival pack (or I will try to upload it on this site as well) to analyze.
3) Then go ahead and post! Listen to it while you post and you will likely discover something you missed before.

51 comments:

  1. I had heard this song before and just thought it was kind of funny. Now that I am really listening to it, it kind of freaks me out. The message seems to be the main part. It is about the extreme potential of being human. We have amazing powers to build up or destroy. I think rap is a good way to get the message across because it is so straight forward.

    The instrumentation is only a violin (plucked mostly), a jazz trumpet, drum set and electric guitar. Near the part where the rapper says “I can end the world in a holocaust” a crowd is yelling in unison to the beat so – are they an instrument?

    Honestly, the texture is awesome with the instrumentation. It is pretty sparse – except in the violent parts – and that just makes the message all the more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to the post above - don't forget the bass. Pretty simple but it's there. That gets me to the harmony. It's the same progression over and over and it builds from there. The violin first plucks and then plays the arppegios of the chords. The only instrument that actually plays a melody is the trumpet. So this is definitely homophonic even though each instrument is so individual. I looked up the progression and it was: dm am FM7 C Bb gm F E7. I am not sure what key that is... But anyway, it's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key is 'am' because E7 is the V of 'am' and if it keeps going in a circle, then that would make the strongest harmonic feel in 'am'. So the progression would be iv i VI7 III ???(bII?) vii VI V. This is pretty unusual I guess although I see a little circle of fifths stuff going on. Maybe it is changing keys from 'am' to 'C' because that would make Bb the flat VII...

    Also, I think jazz trumpet with rap is genius. There are a lot of styles all put together: kind of a basic folk sound with the violin, then of course jazz, rock and rap. I like how it starts and ends the same way - completes the circle idea of the harmony and message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I played through it and found out that the progression you listed is not quite right. It actually goes like this: dm am Bb C Bb gm F em AM. So I think that actually puts it in dm because then the analysis would make a lot more sense: i v VII VII VII vi III ii V. This is a lot more in sync with the circle of fifths...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that the song had no set message, besides the fact of talking about all of the different things someone could do in their life. I thought that the trumpet as apart of the song was usefull for emphasise on certain parts of the song, or points that wanted to be streched. The rap also described the words more clear than any other type of music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The music of this song helps to get the message across. The music is quiet and repetitive so that the listener will pay more attention to what the singer is saying. The singer is rapping. This makes the words clearer and it is easier to understand the message. The violin is plucked for the first two verses, but is played more intensely in the third verse. This could represent the intense change in the "world" in the song. The trumpet is played softly before the third verse. This would represent the calm before the storm.
    The message is that it's okay to have some power, but too much power will turn someone against everybody they love. It is saying that money and power will change a person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ignore above comment:

    The most obvious instrument for me is the drums or the trap set if you will. It has a pretty steady beat throughout the beginning of the song. Also, in the beginning there is a violin that just plays the notes that adds to the music quite adequately. I would call the way that it is played "playful." Then as the song and the music video get more serious so does the trap set. The fills of the trap set also do the same in the way that they both get serious. As the lyrics get serious the trumpet comes in and catches your attention. The trumpet ties in with the lyrics the best because, as I said earlier, it catches your attention by saying "look and listen" "do not become what the "corporate" guy became." In the video there are two friends. The one who follows the sign with the dove represents the pure heart in society. During his part of the video you see him pick up an apple and his is nice. The other guy who follows the "C" sign shows how people can be consumed with corporate and political power. Sadly this is the way life is. It shows that life is that way when the black dove kills the white dove. Lastly, I think the life has evolved that way. I think many people would like to be the good guy who followed the dove, but probably only 5% of the people on earth are like that. It is something that we as humans must strive for. The only problem is that the world needs someone like the quy who followed the dove to start the revolution of change. If a conglomerate could ever be formed for the good of society, as the song said "I can…" we can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think the dynamics of the rhythm of the song is pretty much constant. But the rapping changes a little more than the rhythm because the rapper gets louder which gets his point across about the topic he is rapping about. it feels like you can feel the changes in the song nothing unexpected like how its somewhat smooth at first and at the end it becomes loud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one instrument that really sticks out to me is the violin. At the beginning of the song it is played with a pizzicato style. This gives a definite light bounce to the song. Then at about 1:10 the violin is bowed which adds a definite harshness to the sound. This edge corresponds perfectly to the lyrics as they become more violent. I also like how the violin plays throughout the whole entire song. Some times, especially at the beginning and end, it is the soloist, while other times, like at 2:45 it is almost completely covered up by the rest of the instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great3/4 rythm all the way though with the beginning starts with a violin getting plucked and setts the mode for quite a while intel the trumpet starts and drums and guitar with keyboard then trumpet has a solo which sways ur emotions and then getts heavy when it gets heavy he gets hi army together to go against his friend then the fight goes on and his friend realizes what he did so did the commander of the army and soon the story is over and we learn that u shouldnt let the power u have control u

    ReplyDelete
  11. this song is pretty cool. it first starts off with plucking the violin. then a pretty tight drum fill into a cool beat. then comes in some other strings, and some col trumpet riffs. the bass is rockin' the bassline. then as it gets a little heavier, it switches to some really distorted electric guitar. the trumpet takes on a solo, which you never hear a lot especially in the rap type of music. as the music gets heavier, you can almost feel the emotion there. its almost an angry/power feeling and you can just about feel that feeling. and with all the people screaming and chanting, you feel like you're in this crazy riot type place then all of a sudden, the music gets soft. this is probably one of the coolest songs that incorporates some instruments in a style you never really hear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I was watching and listening to this video/song I interpretted the message as that power changes people. The fork in the road with the "C" and the "dove" marked two different directions in life "dove" meaning "easy going" and "no worries" and the "C" meaning "Corruption". I saw a relationship meaning to this, saying that if your friends or family go down a path in life thats wrong, you can save them before it goes too far (i.e. the shooting).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked how the singers voice got more intense and angry when it was singing about violence. I think the song is about that people have the capability to do anything and that even includes bad things. I also really liked the electric guitar that came on every now and then especially with crescendos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While watching the music video you notice alot of things that you cant really pick up from the song. But you notice that it is starting off from what a little kid would think is so amazing to the point to where you turn into a monster and you have no controll over what your doing or saying and it takes someone that is so close to you to get killed. I like how there are many styles into one. They have trumpet, violin, guitar, and the singers voice had a lot of emotion

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked this song but the video that went with it was a little weird but all in all a good song i like how it has a little rap with rock in it and it has a really catchy tune how it slows but picks up is really cool its like two kind of songs into one it starts out mellow but then picks up i like that it kept me interested. The instruments that i heard where guitar, trumpet, violin, drums and this might be wrong but a ukulele in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this song is pretty cool. it first starts off with plucking the violin. then a pretty tight drum fill into a cool beat. then comes in some other strings, and some col trumpet riffs. the bass is rockin' the bassline. then as it gets a little heavier, it switches to some really distorted electric guitar. the trumpet takes on a solo, which you never hear a lot especially in the rap type of music. as the music gets heavier, you can almost feel the emotion there. its almost an angry/power feeling and you can just about feel that feeling. and with all the people screaming and chanting, you feel like you're in this crazy riot type place then all of a sudden, the music gets soft. this is probably one of the coolest songs that incorporates some instruments in a style you never really hear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This song is very strong, emotionally, and politically. It displays many beautiful instrumentals, ranging from high to low, that play on the emotions of the singers voice within the song, enhancing the message that he is singing. I love that they use horns (Trumpet), strings (Violin), guitar (Electric bass) and the drums, it has and amazing instrumentation display. The harmony starts soft and calming, and then it gets harsh with his expressions in the lyrics. I dont like the song but it was fun analyzing this song... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that the instruments played on this song are unique because it is using a violin and a trumpet and the usual. I think that the artist picked that kind of instrumentation because the song can easily change moods that way. The trumpet stood out to me the most because i think it shows how calm something can start out and quickly turn for the worse soon after. I also think that rapping is a good way to spread a message especially when it is used in a in-your-face kind of style. I think the message portrayed in the song and the video is that a person can be both evil and good and would have to eventually choose one personality. There is rhythm in this song and that is probably the vocals. The video also shows that the life of a politician can be corrupted and the life of the normal person can be changed just by the politician's actions in an instant. I noticed that the politician's office building is shaped all weird.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked how the music was calmer during the beginning but as it ran on it seemed to get more rough. The beginning had just the plucking and as it went on the music seemed to pick up ending with the electirc guitar. The message of the song, to me, seems that we all can make different choices in our lives. In the video the two people seemed to be friends, but then went their seperate ways. One chose to be pure, while the other one seemed to become corrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with everyone who has said the rapping made it easier to understand with he is saying. I liked the trumpet, but the actual video was kinda weird.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The more I listen to this song, the more and more think of growing up and our choices. The lyrics and the music go hand and hand with each other as the song progresses. In the beginning, it talks about all the things we think are cool and want to do. The music in the background sounds like a lullaby type of music and gives you the sense of what you see and do as a child. As the song progresses and gets more intense, more and more instruments come into play a give the song three main sections and moods. Each section has a lead instrument providing the emotion, (Violin, Trumpet, and Guitar). I also like the ending when it goes back to the first verse and to the plucked violin. I think that this symbolizes that after we have made our choices and died, it begins over again with the next generation. Plus the final harmonic played by the distorted guitar symbolizes that our choices have also effected the future world that the next generation lives in and will continue to linger on. A good example would be Hitler and the Holocaust

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is quite a well written song on all accounts. Being a drummer, i naturally listen more to the rythem and the aspects of percussion and this song is full of extremily interesting riffs in all parts of the percussion. The kick drum offers the most obvious shuffle that, in my opinion, drives the entire song. Notice also that, as the intensity of the song increases, the kick also follows along,or moreover, leads the intensity along. On the hi hats and snare, everything is pretty straight-forward and solid but also penetrating and driving as well. Very intense fills towards the end that are quite complex and sound almostr off-tempo but carry the interjection of the song to another level.
    Conserning the rest of the song, the message is delivered quite clearly through the the use of the rather untasteful style of rap. Although, they do make fine use of rap. The message strikes me in many ways. First, the loss of inocence as grow up is a clear theme in this song. Second, how we control many aspects of our lives and our fragile decisions can affect the lives of others. And finally, the obvious message of hatred towards major companies, large busnesses, and seemingly any large gruop of people with power that misuse it. I noticed a very clear depiction of the White House under the "Evil Tower of Corporation" around 2:30 which i think is a stab at the Government. I think this is a great song and i enjoy listening to it and analyzing has been helpful in understanding even more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The fist thing you notice in this song is the violin plucking which I like because i think mixing in instruments that are more on the classical side with this kind of music is awesome. The guy's voice is really intense and the way he is singing really makes you listen to the words more. His voice gets more and more intense as the song progresses. What he has to say is pretty interesting. This song is very repetitive and that just puts even more emphasis on the lyrics. I love the trumpet section in the middle, it just makes the song even better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i think that adding a violin to a rap song like this was a great idea and that it has some ttpe of political view

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this song is amazing. to satisfy tonys quriousity in the begining the music is played by plucking a viloin not a ukulele.

    Looking at the lyrics, i get the feeling that what he is trying to say is that we are advancing and progressing no matter what we do, first with a simple bick ride all the way up to ending the planet in a holocost, and its what we choose to do with this advancement that will affect the world.

    Looking at the music, i think it goes great with the lyrics by starting out small, quiet and simple like riding a bick with no handle bars, but as the song progresses and the acomplishments become greater the song becomes more musical andless of a solo.

    all in all i think its a good song and im going to get it on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with Juliana that the first thing i heard was the plucking of the violin, and along with the scene in the video, this made a very relaxed and calming feel. The main singer starts with a mellow and cool voice, not pushing it or trying to sound amazing and i think that gives me the impression that it's not so much a song ment to have beautiful voices but to focus on it's subliminal message. I also appreciate his form of rap. I'm tired of hearing about gangs, drugs, and girls in the raps on the radio. When you use something as powerfull as your voice, whether it's through talking, raping,singing, or even writing you should have an equally powerful message. My brother is big in rap, but not the kind we are accustomed to hearing on the radio, but raw brilliant rap, and i think that fact makes me appreciate this song more. As the song reaches it's climax the tempo starts to speed up and the mood switches from relaxed to ambitious to enraged then to determined. After it has obtainned it's climax it returns to a soft and easy-going tempo and mood. This song is very fierce and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  28. first of all i really like this song... so i really like the instrunments that are used espically the trumpet! it sounds really cool... so also i like the emotion that the singer puts into the words that hes singing. i also really like the tempo of the song, over all i really like it.. :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. also i agree with Daniel, putting a violin in a rap song is a really great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great comments guys! I really enjoyed reading them. Not bad for a first "squirrel"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I liked the song and thought it was really cool. I like how they use different instruments throughout the song. I thought the trumpet was really cool and the violin.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. (Rut Roe I'm late..)

    This song honestly scares me at most points. At first it's like "Cool Cool this is pretty beastlie" but then it's like "Woah Woah now you can do what? thats not normal! you creep!" haha But I admire the music itself.. that doesn't really scare me, just the lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  35. this song is basically saying that you shouldn't abuse your power whether it be little or small. the song goes from commonly do able things like riding a bike with no handlebars to increasingly more difficult and less morally just to finally to ending the world with a holocaust. i like how they have actual jazz in the song and that the percussion's keep the beat through most of the song and that all the instruments are all blended together and have a great harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  36. to me the chords, rhythm and melody all go together to form a multiple personality song, in the beginning is when you see the most change, where they go from carefree "riding without handlebars" then come up to a major choice in life "fork in the road". one of them chooses to stay carefree and the other chooses to uphold adult responsibilities. Eventually, the one that is involved in the corporate arena becomes a tyrant and the one that is free tries to overthrow the other. it made me feel like i wasn't listening to a song but hearing a story.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi I am commenting on the song so i really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i really the instruments. first its the voilin placking, then the softly the guitar comes in so all you mainly hear is still the voilin. the drums come in soft too, but them and the guitar gets louder throw out the song, but die out at the end. when the song is getting to more of the hate part the trumpet and the yelling come in. the yelling helps the drums keep the beat.
    (i cant spell, so sorry if anything is miss spelled)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I Remember when that song came out about a year ago. It was one of my favorites. I think the beat of the song is great. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  40. i know this isn't about chords rythms or melodys but look how Ipods are taking over how we listen to music. when do u think radios will go out of style? whens to last time you saw someone use a CD player to listen to music? I wonder what Ipods will be like in ten years from now?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Being mainly a singer, I haven't got a very good idea on what a good chord progression is supposed to be. I can however tell you that it was very catchy to me. The tempo and the instruments match the feel and meaning of this song as it progresses. This song is a subliminal message of how American life is, and more importantly how it is view by most other countries. If you look at the lyrics it starts showing how we've evolved from learing the simple things like riding a bike with out holding on, to now playing God with countries that are in war with us. The song's music builds with the lyrics so by the time that they are singing about a holocaust the drums have kicked in and the tempo has speeded up, only to drop off and take on the same tone, tempo and lyrics as the beginning, maybe remining us that this is the way the world should be.
    Lauren Smith

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. well it kinda stoped in the middle ofthe song...i think that the banjo part is pretty cool, not really what i was expecting... its more fun, and kinda jazzyish i guess... and it is really a good beat, i like the oboe part i also like the soprano saxaphone (those things are so precious!)it was kinda cool in the end, but im not a real big jazzy fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I never would of thought that all those instrument could sound good together. It sounds much like jazz by far. I Think my favorite intruments out of all of those were the base guitar and the saxaphone.

    ReplyDelete
  45. sorry this is so late.. :(
    but hands down, this is one of my favorite songs of all time... I think because of the message it conveys and how it's shown to the listener. the message is about the world- and about how having too much power (in many different forms) is never going to be a good thing.... anywho--

    To me, the singer is the main instrument because he is the one that effects you the most, his voice gets more intense and angrier when it talks about wars an such, but also has a softer feel to his voice when he's singin about handlebars!
    this song can get stuck in your head so easily, so I believe this should be classified as "catchy!"
    I hear people all the time make variations of this song, which makes me giggle.. but then again i giggle a lot.. and now ahh! squirrel! I'm rambling.... okay okay, I love this song. the end (:

    ReplyDelete
  46. I appreceate music like orchestra you can feel the change of emotion in the music. It is very powerful music. The strings carried the melody. The winds-fluits and french horn highlighted the melody. I would not get tired of this music This is very complex music. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Okay....this is a test post. I have been trying to figure this blogging stuff out since the beginning of school and....by George....I think I've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I thought it was fun,it kept paced with a metranome,even though they said they could keep one w/out it. I used to listen to that song all the time,but now that I really listened to it,now i am noticing (probally spelled wrong,sorry!)so many differnt things!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think this song is about Corporate America. One thing I notice is that, all the things we do, we do for money. Money makes the world go round, Money is Power. Power Corrupts. I think this is showing how the Capitalistic aspect of our Nation can change so much. The first verse, starts out with "look at me, look at me." The first rule of Capitalism is the individual comes first. That is just the beginning. The first verse seems nonchalant almost, as it is talking about his abilities, his friends, his interests. Then he transcends others, by almost showing off, telling how he can make money off a thrift store, or make a living off a magazine. Also, perhaps the only line in the song that doesn't start out with "I can" truly shows the Capitalistic nature of our nation by stating "I know how to run the business, I can make you wanna buy a product, movers shaker and producers" The second verse names his friends once. Only once. He's losing touch with reality and being consumed by the system, even though he "can see the strings that control the system." He says nothing about fighting it, he only comments that he sees himself falling deeper into the pit of Corporate. In my opinion, it's not him speaking in the last verse, it is Capitalist America embodied. No one line stands out that is truly human. It is speaking of how Capitalism, if left unchecked, will end the world in a holocaust. Of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I agree with the statement that rythum is the most versatile colorful and free. Rythum is versatile ; any object can make rythum. Some of the things that made rythum in the clip were walls, bsketball pots pans blenders and knives. Rythum is freeing because it makes you want to move

    ReplyDelete